SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
korney19

Did jar sizes change? Can't fit ten pints... plus more questions.

korney19
16 years ago

Neither my 17qt nor 23qt Presto fit 10 pint jars... though the 17qt is listed as holding 10 and the 23qt holding 20 pints. Is there a difference in jar shapes/sizes for standard mouth pints or different brands? I can fit 8 Golden Harvest pints around the side with a gap and a big opening in the middle but can't get 2 to fit in the middle, just 1. Are there variances in the jar shapes, or do they only fit 1 way?

Also:

Do you still use the same 3 inches of water if you do a double layer/tier/stack of jars? I'll use the bottom rack from the older canner to do 2 tiers.

On large batches (over ten jars) is it best to get as many jars in the bottom and any others in the top on a 2nd rack, or to equally distribute them between the 2 racks...or doesn't it matter?

If using new jars, can I put them in the oven at 200-225 degrees until filling time, and if so, dry? I think I'd lose a lot of time if I had them partially filled with water (so they don't float) in the canner heating up, then having to empty the water from them 1 by 1 and fill them, then reinsert into the canner.

When doing large batches, say enough for 16-20 pints, my stove space is somewhat limited, plus only 2 burners work. Do I have to juggle pots to bring the salsa up to a boil in smaller batches, or use a larger pot that can hold all the salsa, but have the pressure canner slightly offset on the other burner warming up the water? Or can I try heating some or all of the salsa in a tin roasting pan in the oven at say 225 degrees, then bring it out to fill the jars? And can I fill the jars and then put them in the oven to stay hot until all the jars are ready to go into the canner?

How does everyone coordinate & do large batches like this?

I'm trying to do a double batch of [Heirloom] Annie's Salsa--I may try it with the Ball's Hot Chipotle mix packet on all or half. Thanks for any help.

Mark

Comments (14)