SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junelynnky

Canning Jar Bands and Questions (newbie to this forum)

junelynn
14 years ago

I've gotten a renewed interest in canning recently and have been reading this forum with much interest and have learned a LOT from everyone! It's been about 20 years since I canned. I recently canned strawberry jam (local fresh picked strawberies), sauerkraut, sweet and sour pickles, and a wonderful Double Lemon Marmalade (with lemons and juice from lemon balm juice from the balm from my garden). I was fascinated by Dogear6's CARROT CAKE JAM and plan to make it for Christmas gifts.

I do NOT have a pressure canner, but have a friend on the lookout, who goes to auctions and such and has more time since I work full-time. I am drooling over the ALL-AMERICAN brand.

QUESTION: WHERE do you store your BANDS? HOW do you store your bands? In a box? I cut a metal clotheshanger and put some on it, but they tend to fall off if you've got too many and of course, I need more clotheshangers for all of them. I did a "search" but came up with nothing. I've got a small shed, and have my empty jars and such in there). But I'm leary about storing the bands where there is humidity this time of year. Any ideas?

QUESTION: I plan to can some PEACHES this year. I hear S.Carolina is going to have a bumper crop. Which is best for the most nat'l tasting peach? Cold pack or Hot pack? I also hope I get some good tomatoes this year. The drought last year really stopped production as we were not allowed to water very much.

QUESTION: Does anyone have any unique BWB recipes that turned out very good to your surprise? A few years ago, I bought some PECAN HONEY JELLY by Honeyberry Farm in Kentucky, as they had free samples. The jam is made in Knoxville, TN. They do have a web site I believe. It was so good, I ordered 6 more jars!!! The ingredients list:

Honey, water, pecans, brown sugar, nat'l and artificial pecan flavor, sugar, gellan gum, sodium citrate.

I just happen to have a pecan tree in my back yard (thin-shelled pecans to my luck) which I call "Grandma". "Grandpa", a much biger tree, is at my old house that I had a few years back! I have a bumper crop of pecans this year, some shelled, some unshelled, in the freezer. I want to attempt to make this as a jam. Any ideas??

QUESTION: I've not heard of canning with brown sugar so I'm curious if it's safe. I can bake or cook the pecans with butter, vanilla and sugar to make a sugar crust, then maybe boil it in a little water to get some of the pecan flavor mixed with the sugar. That will flavor up my "pecan" part of the jam as well as the honey.

I am familiar with the NCHFP, thanks to you!

I am also a fan of this web site.

http://www.westonaprice.org/

Dr. Sally Fallon was interview on NRP radio (The People's Pharmacy) two weeks ago and I was just blow away by her discussions on "going back to natural foods", even LARD! See link below:

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/build/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=1&search=sally+fallon&Search=Search

Thanks so much you guys! I am truely inspired by all your posts! It's hard to find folks that like REAL food. So many staff at work are fast food addicts and could care less about fruits, veggies and good meats and decent cooking, let alone ways to store it. I really feel sorry for the gals that just eat frozen LEAN CUISINE for lunch and think they are doing something good for themselves. And the guys are all strictly fast food and drinking soda pop in the a.m. I know folks are busy, but a little time in the kitchen really pays off.

I do go to the farmer's market, and see it increasing with customers. Free range fresh eggs, grass-fed beef, beautiful veggies....it's all coming back!! Love it! I just got a lovely maple and oak cutting board (large) for $10 at the market, made by a local, retired guy.

Most stores would have something like it, made in China, for $30!

June Lynn in N.Carolina

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH