SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louky_gw

Newbie to this Forum, Quince pruning question

louky
14 years ago

Having always been sloppy on record keeping and labeling, I ended up with a mystery tree that I've moved a few times, over a couple of years. It fruited for the first time this year, and after googling "fuzzy pear", and looking at some images, I now believe that it is a quince.

My two questions: I don't see a graft anywhere on the tree. Typically I order dwarfed trees, are quinces somehow different in that they would not have a graft?

This tree has grown into a 3 trunk tree with the trunks attached below the soil level. It is about 12 feet tall (really took off this year). The 3 trunks are almost equal, maybe 1 inch,1 1/8inches, 1 1/4 inches caliper. The first tier of branches comes off of all three trunks at about 3 feet.

I obviously haven't done right by this tree, and would like to make amends. Does anyone have any advice about pruning tactics. Should I get rid of 2 of the trunks to be left with a single trunk and treat it like a typical pear pruning? If so, should I do this over 2 seasons? Should I keep all the trunks and just thin it out? Since I don't have any knowledge of root stock, what is the lowest height I should shoot for as a final height?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia