SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mellyofthesouth

Elderberry Pear Chutney

mellyofthesouth
16 years ago

This is a recipe that a German friend of mine translated from one of her books. Personally, I would omit the oil. Obviously this is not a tested US recipe. I don't know whether the book specified processing instructions in some other area. So I would process it for at least 10 minutes in a BWB.

Shirley, If you make it, let me know how it turns out.

Melly

Elderberry- Pear Chutney (4-6 preserving jars about 200 grams)

600 g (about 21 ounces) Elderberries

1 branch rosemary

2 small pears

150 g (about 5 ounces) red onions, chopped

3 juniper berries

4 cloves

1 Tablespoon vegetable oil

280 g brown sugar (almost 10 ounces, from what I can find online, this is about 1 1/4 cups)

100 ml (about 3.5 fluid ounces) red wine vinegar

1 large pinch of ginger puree (I'm not sure whether this means powdered or fresh.)

Salt

Cayenne pepper

Get the elderberry off the stems (it should be 550 g, about 19 ounces), mash in a bowl. Peal the pears, cut the core out and chop 200 g (about 7 ounces) pulp.

Heat the oil in a saucepan, stir in the chopped red onions and cook them until light brown. Stir in mashed elderberries, chopped pears, rosemary and sugar. Cook until the sugar meted Add the vinegar, ginger puree, and the spices. Cook the chutney over small heat, stirring occasionally, about 25 to 30 minutes. Take out the rosemary branch, the cloves, and the juniper berries. Season the chutney with salt and pepper to taste. Fill the chutney in cleaned preserving jars.

Comment (1)