SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psittacine

Confessions of a SALSA lover.

psittacine
16 years ago

I love salsa even though I usually have to limit the amount of chips I use to scoop it with, (why can't someone come up with a good low-carb version?). I'm always anxious for tomatoes to ripen. First tomato goes into juicy BLTs on fresh sour dough bread (preferably) that my hubby bakes. Next ones goes for fresh salsa. We've had our favorite very simple salsa cruda recipe for somewhere around 30 years. We also have our favorite commercial brand, and after the fresh tomatoes were gone, I always have just ... well... bought salsa on shopping day.... never 'canned' it myself! Though it is nothing like the fresh made, it was tasty and we just sort of compared it to the difference between grilled corn on the cob and the frozen kernels we eat when the fresh is gone for the year.

Today that all may have changed for good. My first attempt at salsa is sitting on the counter.. 18 pints. Now that is a leap of faith! I used Annie's Salsa recipe for the base since so many have made it and commented on it. Though I pressure canned it, I used the amount of acid recommended for BWB because I had to use a few tomatoes that I wasn't sure of the ripeness when picked, (when frost was first predicted). I know they were at least red tinged. Besides, I always use lemon and/or lime in the fresh I make and the flavor of acid'ness' diminishes somewhat in a day or two, as flavors blend. I skewed it towards our personal taste, as many others on the forum have done.

I have 2 jars in the fridge that wouldn't fit in the canner. I'll be tasting them tomorrow night with the a Chili Rellenos Casserole planned for dinner tomorrow. Here's hoping!

So, a big "Thanks!" from me also, Annie.

Crystal

Comments (4)