SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
korney19

What are you paying for NEW jars Now?

korney19
16 years ago

I called a lot of places and got a lot of runarounds... Every time I call the Walmart Superstore 10 miles away, they say they "should be in Wednesday, call back then."

The local Walmart said they had half pints for $4.xx but when I got there they were the Platinum series with a box of 4. The case of 12 were the jelly jars for almost $8.

Biglots had Golden Harvest. $6.50 for half pints & pints, $7 for quarts. A different Big Lots said they only had pints, quarts, and 32 OUNCE!

Hector's Hardware quoted $8.99 for pints.

Dollar General said they don't sell canning jars but to try Sav-a-Lot down the street.

Sav-a-Lot says, "Sure, we have them! They're just before the frozen foods." when I asked before taking a shopping cart. When I got the cart and got to where they are, they only had the jelly jars that Walmart had... maybe $0.20 cheaper. ("Always low prices. Always.")

Hilde asked me if there was a place we could buy them wholesale... I found a place a few hundred miles away in PA that had:

8 oz Square Mason Jars for $6.35 if buying less than a pallet, ($5.50/case per pallet of 126 cases! and they don't come with lids!)

4 oz Deluxe Quilted Crystal Jelly Jar with White Two-piece Lid for $6.05 ($5.60 per case per pallet of 126, OUT OF STOCK til 11/1/07!)

8 oz Round Tapered Jelly Jar Similar to a Ball brand jelly jar, but without embossing... $4.20 ($3.62 per case per pallet of 378 cases!!!) (NO lids or bands included!)

8 oz Deluxe Quilted Crystal Jelly Jar, $7.00 ($6.50/case/pallet of 84.) (These are the ones Walmart were selling for almost $8 I think.)

Platinum Ball 1/2 Pint Widemouth Jars with lids, these are the 4-packs, $3.60 ($3.30 per case per pallet of... wow... 2400 cases!!)

Pint Square Mason Jars, no lids or bands, $4.55 ($4.25/case/pallet of 224.)

Ball Pint Widemouth Jars with Bands & Lids, $8.00 ($7.45/case/pallet of 88)

26 oz Square Mason Jars, no lids or bands, $5.95 ($4.90/case/pallet of 168)

Ball Quart Widemouth Jars with Bands & Lids, $9.10 ($8.50/cs/pallet of 50 cases)

Quart Round Jars, no lids/bands, $6.70 ($5.99 pallet of 130 cases)

...plus others all the way up to gallon size.

None of these seem cheap... it almost makes people want to buy at the grocery store instead of preserve your own harvest!

What kind of prices have you been paying RECENTLY and where?

Comments (37)

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

I've been lucky. The big Lot's 2 miles from me has the jelly and pints for $6.50. I'm not sure of the quart price, however I will know shortly as I just ran out of quarts. They are out of lids though. I can walk to Walmart and they are well stocked with everything.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Prices can vary, and a 32 ounce jar IS a quart. There is also a 64 ounce jar (half gallon) but these are very hard to deal with in home canning due to their size. Sometimes, if you check local supermarkets, they will have clearance sales on the leftovers. I was able to get lids for 50 cents a box a couple of years ago, and bought all they had. Big Lots has about the best prices. If your buying a lot of jars, mabe case lots would be a better choice. Something like a pallet of 50 boxes. Hardware stores sell them, as mentioned, but they must also pass on to the customer any shipping costs they incur. Walmart, because of its popularity could have dozens of cases one day and be totally out the next. Quarts of Golden Harvest jars at Big Lots were %7.00. Usually I start looking for jars after the season winds down, as they don't go bad, and sometimes you an get lucky and get cases for less. The nearest Walmart here, have no jars or lids. They are a small Walmart and lack a lot of the popular items you usually only see in a super Walmart.

• Related Discussions

Jars Didn't Seal, What about Using Parafin Now?

Q

Comments (3)
    I would not use paraffin, it may leak and your jam will mold. It is not recommended for use any more. Use 1/4 inch headspace at least. Also, don't know if you water bath canned them, but it will give a true vacuum seal. That "inversion" method only gives a weak surface seal, plus it won't kill any mold spores. It is the same as "open kettle" in my opinion. You can also just put the jars that didn't seal into the freezer if you remove some jam to allow for headspace.
    ...See More

Do I pay the bill now?

Q

Comments (7)
    I think you are going to find that the cassette unit in your bedroom is operating as designed. A unit installed in the ceiling has to continue to operate to "sample" the air in the space. Otherwise you would end up with "stacked" temperatures. This is not what we are used to in hvac systems, but that is the way they are designed and the correct way for them to operate. Just like the high wall units, the actual t-stat is in the unit. The remotes are communicators but not controls. From my experience in the mini-split business this was/is a common situation with cassettes and contractor knowledge about cassettes. You are going to love this system and it is going to make you very comfortable at a very modest operating cost. In our bedroom, with the high wall unit, we frequently run the fan only. Of course we have no humidity here, so... Pay the man when you get an answer. The answer you are going to get is not cause to hold back. BTW, what brand is the equipment?
    ...See More

How did you pay for your new kitchen?

Q

Comments (73)
    We are paying cash for our new kitchen and we started by paying the deposits (half of estimate) to the countertop guy (had to pick my marble slab) and the cabinet guy. I have spent HOURS and DAYS figuring out how to do the kitchen reno in several stages, which I believe will help me know what (upper cabinets for instance) I really need. So, doing the demolition, base cabinets, new range, knock down wall, move other 5' wall by 6", sink, peninsula, tape and float, and hopefully backsplash first. Later I will do range hood (having hookup and flue for hood done in first stage though), open shelving, backsplash (if can't do it earlier), upper cabinets (if I need). Lastly I will do floor. If something has to change with my plans, I may have to use our line of credit, but it shouldn't be more than $5000 or so and we will pay it off asap. Hate borrowing money. Also it helps that I found some of our kitchen floor tiles in the creek 15 years ago and saved them! They will replace the flooring where the island is getting removed. P.S. My GC knows about this plan ahead of time and is being very understanding.
    ...See More

New iPhone: pay in full or pay way less with 2-year contract?

Q

Comments (36)
    Update. I visited both the Apple Store (to hold iPhones) and the AT&T store to discuss upfront costs and plans. The jury's still out on whether to get a 6s or 6s Plus. I was annoyed at first when I had to sign up and wait to be seen by someone in the AT&T store. I almost left in a polite huff and decided that would be foolish, so I hunkered down and waited. I'm glad I did because a very very knowledgeable young woman answered all my questions. She actually gave me way more info than I needed, but here's the deal: In my case, lascatx is wrong about them charging me monthly for the balance of the phone and not stopping until I bring it to their attention. In the past, I have opted for 2-year contracts at a lower, subsidized price. All I paid monthly was for my plan, i.e., voice, data, text. That was/is one of the benefits of locking into a contract. The salesperson told me that AT&T is one of the few carriers still doing this and soon, within a year, they will cease altogether. The option is still available to me to do this, but it would be the last time. My $70/mo total bill, which includes an unlimited data plan, is still mine to keep. I can buy the phone at the lesser amount and agree to a 2-year contract, or I can buy the phone for the full price. I'm not interested in paying over time and having it added to my monthly bill. If I decided to break my contract at any point, I will have to pony up the balance. So, really no risk at all for me to do the contract, as it's a savings of $450. She mentioned $40 here or there if I do one or the other, but at that point, I had reached my saturation point and I'm not gonna fuss over that amount. I hope this has been helpful. I have an existing plan I'd like to keep; I seem to do well with phones for two years; paying less is also nice.
    ...See More
  • booberry85
    16 years ago

Big Lots has been the best place for me to get jars, $6.50 for jelly jars (half pints). Our local WalMart carries canning jars too, but they are the most expensive there! The jelly jars are 7.92 there. That's for the regular canning jars. My local grocery store carries them for a brief time and they are $7.50 there. There is a Mennonite grocery store and hour away from my house. They always have canning jars. The jelly jars are $7.50 there too.

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Local $$ store chain has Golden Harvest pints for $5.95 and GH quarts for $6.95. Best price I have found down here.

Dave

• bcskye
    16 years ago

The prices here are pretty much the same as several of the other posters with Dollar General having the $6.95 for Golden Harvest pints and quarts. They have been out of lids for about 2 months. We have Menard's Home Improvement Centers here and several months ago they had pint jars at $6.44 with a $2.00 mail-in rebate. I bought 2 boxes of them. Would have bought more, but DH had a fit and told me I already had hundreds of jars (a little bit of an inflated statement). I have been buying extra boxes of lids only for $1.22 each there as well as watching for their closeout sale. I, too, got close out sale lids at $ General several years ago for .50 each. So many places I go say not many people can anymore, but I think its the opposite. I tried to find a canner for my sister and every garage sale I went to that had had one said they'd already sold it then I went to the flea markets and they were gone or down to the ones no one would buy. All the $ General stores I could find were out of lids quite early in the season and I know they had plenty.

Korney19, you might try checking out garage sales and flea markets. I got about six dozen jars, some with rings, for $5 from a garage sale I stopped at about a month ago. We also have an indoor flea market about 20 miles from here that is open every day and I've hit the jackpot a couple of times there. Usually getting quite a few jars for a dollar that have been sitting out of immediate sight. The last time was a big bonanza with several really old but perfect jars that I'll never give away.

By the way, I did find a very nice, fairly new Presto 16 qt. canner for my sister, but had to pay $35 for it. One of the older flea market sellers knew I was looking for one and found one for me. Beats the price of a new one.

• korney19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will have to try more Dollar Generals, I only tried one.

I went to Big Lots today and bought 8oz jelly jars, pints, and standard quarts. They also had widemouth quarts for $10.

I have nothing against used jars but couldn't find any on craigslist, etc. Haven't done any garage sales. The only problem, for me, with used is finding lids plus the kitchen sink has low water pressure and hard to wash them so have been going with new.

Does anybody know if K-Mart has jars & how much $$?

• kathy_in_washington
    16 years ago

Our Big Lots closed. Our Dollar stores don't have any. I search for the word CANNING in Craigslist and look for jars in our area, or in an area I'm planning on travelling to within a couple of days. Have had sporatic luck there. I also Garage Sale, Church Rummage Sale, and ask friends to return jars (and that, unfortunately, doesn't work too well!). We also don't gift as many jars as we once did, because we'd lose 4-5 dozen a year, and those were, of course, the half-pint and pint size jars which are more difficult to find. Plenty of Regular Mouth Quarts out there, though. I will pick up jars individually at 25 cents each or a bit more -- but hate to pay over 4 dollars for used jars without lids or rings. And I love it when the seller still has the older boxes.

We also wash all of our jars immediately upon purchase, or upon emptying, in our dishwasher set at STERILIZE, and once they've dried I cover up each one with Stretch-Tite cling wrap, so the mouth and sides of the jar and tightly covered. We store them this way and feel comfortable using them without cleaning or washing prior to filling. It's really nice to have clean jars always available!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stretch-Tite Cling Wrap's website

• hilde_wny
    16 years ago

That's a great idea, Kathy! Wonder why I have never thought of that before! I will start doing that too! Always clean jars from now on!

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

Bought quarts at Big Lots today for $7. Pints and 8oz. were $6.50. Wide mouth Golden Harvest were $10.00. A bit high I thought. I bought 10 cases total. I canned 28 quarts of tomato juice cocktail Fri. and had to use wide mouth quarts. I'm restocked for now.

• bcskye
    16 years ago

Thanks for the Stretch-Tite cling wrap hint, Kathy. You've helped another canner here.

The WalMart 20-some miles north of us is very expensive on their canning jars, however, we went into one 20-some miles southwest of us tonight and I saw where they have the pints for $6+ a case. Jelly jars were still nearly $8 and the quarts were $8 plus. Its rediculous how they vary on prices from store to store. The KMart I went to a couple of weeks ago said they didn't carry canning products any longer. One Target I went to at about the same time had nothing. Our local "country type" individually owned hardware store carries a lot, but are very expensive. Ace Hardware stores, which are in some of the larger cities carry canning products, but are kind of expensive on all. I did get a new seal for my really old Mirro canner from one of the Ace Hardwares and it was only $8+. Most places want a good bit more.

• dangould
    16 years ago

I buy and use quart jars almost exclusively. I have seen them in local wal mart for $10 for the wide mouth. That is getting expenisive.

I also try to pick them up used when I find them. I run them through the diswasher. I put them into boxes upside down on clean newspaper. With a dishwasher I do not mind washing them again. I can get a ton of jars into the dishwasher.

I also have big trouble getting the jars returned. Everyone always says they will give the jar back but only a few people do so.

Does anyone know of a good box to use to store the jars. I can get free boxes at the liquor stores but none seem to fit the quart jars that well. I need some kind of solution to the jar storage problem.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Admittedly, like everything else, the jars are always going up in price. Five years ago, they were under $7 for a case of Ball quarts. Rememeber the days about 35 years ago, when gas was just 29 cents for regular. A nickel candy bar was a decent desert, and you usually left the supermarket with several bags of groceries as well as plenty of change in your pocket.

I save my boxes and actually threw out several as I had more of them than jars..

• steve03234
    16 years ago

Up here in New Hampshire, I'm paying $10 for a dozen pints and $12 for quarts. That includes rings and lids. Ball brand.

Pretty expensive, if you ask me.

• smokey98042
    16 years ago

I pay 4.15/case for 8oz, 6.85/case for 16oz this is for mason type jars without lids or bands. I can also get 12oz Mayo type jarsfor 5.10, 16 oz for 5.30. the mayo jars are round and not as heavy as the Mason type. Both types use standard lids and bands. 1 piece lids are .15 ea.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

If you do buy a jar thats not designed for home canning, it may shatter easily. Most canning jars have thicker glass that has a been tempered to resist shattering with sudden temperature changes. Any mayo jar I ever used shattered before it was finished in the BWB.

Steve, thats a bit high. Suggest you find other sources for jars. On average a Ball case of quarts runs for about $9.00 tops right now. If you live near the Super Walmart in Salem NH, it may be a good place to find some at a cheaper cost. The Golden Harvest ones are a little less money too.

• korney19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's cheap for the 8oz... I paid $6.50.

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

$4.50 is cheap, however they didn't come with lids. My Walmart has a few jars left. They are totally out of lids. Big Lots has all sizes of jars and no lids. I think canning is coming back.

• wdent803
    16 years ago

I get most of my jars at rummage, and estate sales.
    I usually pick them up for a buck a dozen.
    Granted they are usually dirty and I have to run them throught hte dishwasher.

• smokey98042
    16 years ago

I get most of my jars from a commercial bottle suplier, thats why no lids or bands on mine. I do use the one piece lids that I get from them on most of the jam that I use for gifts. Note: kathy in washington - if you are going to be in the Kent area I can give you directions to the suplier.
    They do sell as little as 1 case.

• ibstitchin
    16 years ago

We moved to WA this spring from NE and finding jars is much more difficult and expensive here. I was so spoiled! On any given week I could hit a farm auction or two (or 10) and pick up jars for nothing. Here the used ones are hard to come by or I just haven't found them yet. I really miss farm auctions! The BigLots here hasn't had any either but I do get a discount at Wal-Mart.

• david52 Zone 6
    16 years ago

The other day, I took a load to the local "recycling center", which is a half-dozen dumpsters in the back of the court house parking lot, and looked in the glass bin. It was half full of canning jars. I thought really really hard about it, but my 9 yr old daughter was with me, and thats the sort of thing that might, later in life, be mis-interpreted, and they were quart jars anyway, of which I have more than enough.

Now if they were wide mouth pints, I would have lowered her into the bin and she would have handed me out a few dozen....:->.

• kathy_in_washington
    16 years ago

Absolutely, david52! It's never too early to teach our children the value of Dumpster Diving for Jars! Isn't that what "local recycling centers" are for? And remember the story of the Little Red Hen? Unless your daughter learns that she has to work to help produce her food, she doesn't deserve any! Diving for Jars isn't exactly the same as planting, threshing, and grinding the wheat for flour, but it's pretty darn close.

One man's trash - another man's treasure. Funny how difficult it is to see someone throw out good canning jars.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Some people I give jars of goodies to, do toss out the jars. I keep remonding them, but they seem intent on tossing them. I guess I should start to add a surcharge to my canning I sell or give out, like $2.00 deposit on every empty canning jar they bring back. I do print the message of save the empty jars on all my canning labels.

• dinkans
    16 years ago

I've never bought canning jars at a regular price. Some have come from garage sales, others from farm auctions. But most of my jars have been given to me. Spread the word that you need jars! As I empty jars I layer them in a brown paper grocery bag. I can get three layers of three quart jars in each bag. Seperate layers with several folded newspaper pages. Staple the bag shut and lable according to jar size/mouth size. These sacks then go back on my basement shelves - ready for the next year. I have sooo many jars - when I die my kids are going to have a fit! (I remember cleaning my grandma's basement after she died and wondering what in the world one woman needed with so many jars - NOW I KNOW!)

• led_zep_rules
    16 years ago

I bought some pint or half-pint jars at Menards early this year, with a rebate so they were only about $4/dozen. Past years I bought some for about $5/dz at Big Lots, mine came with lids and rings, although they were on too tight. That is before I knew I was going to score so big at my local recycling center. Years ago the lady who works there saw me taking canning jars out of the glass bin. She said she tried to stop people from putting them in there, but doesn't always see it in time. She saves them for me now. This year someone in our township was cleaning out a barn before knocking it down, brought in hundreds of canning jars.

We set up a bucket brigade for washing, a general scrubbing in one bucket, then a rinse in another, then another swoosh through a bucket of hot soapy water. Finally all the washed jars are rinsed off with a hose. The original water for washing came from the rain in the jars, and the second bucket was from dehumidifier water, so we conserved water.

We did that three different days (a LOT of jars) and after I was sick of that I twice put a bunch of them through the dishwasher. Have to do that just one more time, not a full load of jars ever, but many at one time. I only saved the pint jars and a few widemouth quarts, I freecycled most of the quart jars. I already have a gazillion of those from my mom and hubby's grandparents.

ksrogers said, "Any mayo jar I ever used shattered before it was finished in the BWB." I don't know what he is doing wrong, I BWB all the time and have NEVER had a mayo, spaghetti, or pickle jar break on me. A real canning jar broke this year on hubby, the bottom cracked apart somehow. Once after I dropped a canning jar into the canner TWICE it broke, but can't blame the jar for that. ksrogers, do you have a rack on the bottom of your canner, or do the jars sit right on the bottom of the kettle? Something in your set up must be odd or why would they break?

My friends are fairly good at giving jars back, the main loss is to people who don't live nearby. That is made up for by my cousins and aunts and so on who give me jars they aren't using anymore and some who even buy jars cheap at garage sales and give them to me. That is how I got my nice 4 oz. jars and 24 oz. straight jars, although I have since seen the 4 oz. jars in stores. (Great for baby food.)

Marcia

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Yes, I do have a rack at the bottom and the jars carcked all up the side, not around the bottom. In fact, I even had a non canning jar break in my steam canner, even though the contents was boiling when the jars were filled.

• david52 Zone 6
    16 years ago

I use old mayo jars too, still haven't broken one, and i dunno how many times through the BWB. Now they sell the mayo in plastic jars, so thats over with.

Ken, do you sing opera while you can?

Thinkin' of possible reasons for all that breakage......

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Nope, nothing but steam and the clinking of metal from the canner lid. I had two of these thin glass mayo quart jars and used one in each batch. After about 10 minutes I heard a loud crack noise, and then the canner started to smell with the boiling contents from the broken jar leaking into the canners water base. I think it was tomato sauce. Yes, mayo is all in plastic now, as are some other things. I even saw a few 'mason' types that were actually plastic. The rest of the batch were regular canning jars and I have only had one break, but that was due to dropping it. I did find a crack in an empty one one too, up the side to the top, but tossed that one out.

• korney19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the replies.

I was in Walmart yesterday picking up some Rx's and decided to take another look to see if they ever got any jars in... they had 1 case of Golden Harvest pints, but the sticker on the box was from something else that was $26.99, so I looked around and found someone doing inventory with a handheld scanner... he scanned the wrong sticker and said $26.99! I explained that that was the wrong sticker from some appliance, and to try the barcode on the box, and he did and said $24.46! I said it can't be, and he showed me the display and that said $6.69 24.46%, so maybe that's the markup or something.

Even at $6.69, they were cheaper at Big Lots. I had him scan a box of regular mouth lids and they were $1.41.

I put both back.

• kayskats
    16 years ago

$15 per dozen, give or take a couple of $$ depending on size and retailer. That's when I can find 'em. At least five of my sources have either gone out of business or quit carrying canning supplies in the past three or four years. Ah, the price of suburban living where all the land is being occupied by McMansions.
    Don't even ask about ring and flats.

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

I had the strangest thing happen yesterday. I had the whole spiel typed out to tell you all and got booted so just dropped the thing.
    I went into Walmart to buy a roll of masking tape to use on my marking tables today at the Farmer"s Market.
    Thought I'd cruise down the canning isle and see if they had restocked lids. I didn't need any but just wanted to check. To my surprise all the canning supplies were marked down with those big red and black stickers they use.
    Quart and pint Ball jars were $5. Wide mouth and reg. were the same. Lids were $1. reg. and $1.50 wide mouth. The platinum wide mouth jars were $2.50 for the four pack. Ball salt $1. I bought 20 doz. of each size lid and 6 doz. of reg quarts and pints. The new freezer jam packs were $2. I bought 6 pks. I did leave a lot there but spent over $100. I got home thinking what a bargain. Very seldom do canning supplies go on sale here. This is a farming community. When I got home I realized I forgot the masking tape. So, after dinner I went back [it's just around the corner] and picked up the tape and went to check the canning isle and everything was back to the original price. Evidently someone marked things down in error. The blue enamel canner with rack was still $13. though.

• korney19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hahaha! Shirley, you in Springville? I'd think that store would have more canning stuff than up here in the city. I go to the Thruway location and sometimes to the Transit/Clarence location, though Thruway Mall is only 5 minutes away...

Maybe I will have to trade tomatoes & peppers & garlic for jars! I must have picked over 100 peppers yesterday but don't know what to do with them all, and that wasn't even including jalapenos! There must be that many more still on the plants! I will try Poppers and Billy Ogden's Peppers for a start, plus Stuffed Peppers (bells w/beef & rice.)

I have been having lots of problems with this site lately... clicking the Preview Message or Submit Message button and getting a blank screen...

Mark

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

Mark
    My purchase was made at the McKinley Walmart. I live right across from ECC South. The Walmart will be closing as soon as the new super store is built at Brierwood, which was once South Shore Plaza and vacated many years ago. Springville is about 18 miles away. Nice Walmart there.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

As I have mentioned, you must be lucky to see the store prices dropped as much as you mentioned. Thats how I got some lids for 50 cents a box, as the local supermarket had a few boxes marked down, just about this time of year. Every year about this time, I usually make the rounds of stores nearby, just to see what store as a clearance on the canning supplies. It costs them more to have these items take up shelf and floor space, so they must consider selling them fast to make space for the next wave of goods.

• aaron_fsp
    16 years ago

My local Wal-Mart just put their left over jars on clearance. I got a trunk full of Kerr quart size for 5 dollars a case, which I will use next year. Keep an eye out for deals..jars are getting expensive.

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

I haven't seen Kerr jars for sale anywhere in many years. I did buy some years ago in Canada.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Kerr isn't sold here in the US anymore, as its mstly now Ball or Golden Harvest. Kerr is now the same maker as Ball.