SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Quick check - is this an approved source/recipe?

cziga
11 years ago

Just a quick check ...

I found a recipe for Onion, Apple & Ale Relish from Jennifer MacKenzie's book, The Complete Book of Pickling.

Ingredients are as follows:

4 cups finely chopped onions

2 TB pickling salt

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

1 TB mustard seeds

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg

1 cup cider vinegar

2 cups peeled, finely chopped tart soft apples

1 cup dark ale

4 cups peeled, finely chopped tart apples

In a non-reactive bowl, cover onions with salt and let them sit for two hours. Drain them, squeezing as much liquid out of them as you can, then let them sit in a colander until you need them next.

Place the brown sugar, mustard seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cider vinegar in a medium pot over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally.

Increase heat to medium high and add the onions, soft apples and ale. Bring to a boil, stirring often, then reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often, until the apples break down and mix is thickened, roughly ten minutes.

Stir in the tart apples, bring to a boil and simmer until the apples are soft but not broken down.

Process in half-pint jars or 4 oz jelly jars for 10 minutes.

My question is: is this a safe and approve recipe (and book/source)? There seems to be so little vinegar and so many onions and apples ... I thought I should check here first. It sounds quite tasty if it is a safe one to use :)

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio