SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anyid123

Recipe for sweet pickles that taste like cherries?

anyid123
13 years ago

I am trying to recreate a recipe made by an elderly neighbor who has long since passed away. She made a sweet cucumber pickle that tasted just like cherries. She did describe that when she fermented/brined the pickles in a crock, she layered leaves from a cherry tree in between the layers of cucumbers. This is NOT like when you use a few cherry leaves to keep the pickle crisp. She described using a lot of leaves. She claimed it gave the cukes a cherry taste. She would make her syrup and pack the jars with a cherry leaf or 2,dill and pickling spices (I think).

I have brined some nice small pickles for about 1 week in a crock with the brine and cherry leaves but they don't taste anything like cherries. They are nicely fermented and actually, if they were regular pickles I would say they are pretty much done and ready for putting in jars.Will they become more cherry-tasting with the sweet syrup? Should I keep them in the brine for a while? They are small (a little bigger than gherkin size).

Any recipes? Any thoughts?

Comments (5)