SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtymartini_gw

please help me get rid of nostoc algae in horse pasture!!

dirtymartini
11 years ago

PLEASE, I beg of you!!! From my mad googling skills I have figured out is is Nostoc Algae. I believe it is "nostoc commune." It is a very dark green, gelatinous blobby specimen that is literally all over my pasture. It is a small pasture that used to be a sand arena to ride and train horses in. From what I gather, this nostoc grows in sandy soil with thin turf. We have had tons of rain lately in south Fl and it doesn't seem to go away even on sunny days, although it does dehydrate a bit. I started to pick it up while wearing rubber gloves but it is on every square foot of this small (half acre) pasture. It will take forever, plus I don't know if I am getting it all.

I keep reading that it is safe, that it is even edible for humans...then i read noooo, that's crazy talk, it turns toxic, it is actually a bacteria, etc etc etc.

So if someone has a method or a substance I can spray on or sprinkle on or whatever to eradicate this nasty stuff? Something that will be safe for the horses to graze on. It has been over two weeks and the horses are missing their pasture! Thanks for any help you can offer!

Comments (13)