SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flatlander2

Rose Hip Questions

flatlander2
17 years ago

OK- I went to pick my dad's rose hips- they're hedge roses, about 1/2" hips. He kept telling me to pick them cuz there were so many, but I've read that you need to wait until after frost for the best flavor. So I did, and now they are all soft and wrinkly, vs plump and nice looking a week or 2 ago. Did the frost do them in? Now I selectively picked about a cup of hips, not sure if the others were still ok to use. What are they supposed to look like when you pick them?

Question #2- I was going to make a batch of the rose hip tangerine spoon sweet from the "All about Canning" Joy of Cooking Book, maybe double or triple batch if I get any more hips. It doesn't say to can, but the ingredients seem like they would be safe- sugar, hips, tangerines, apple juice, and 1 T lemon juice in a half pint. Think it's ok? I'm thinking there's no canning instructions cuz who would can a half pint only- but I have other things I will be BWB anyways.

Question #3- I have a ton of dried hips from last year- do you think they could be reconstituted to supplement my feeble batch from this year? When I make tea they seem to plump up so nicely....

Comment (1)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals