SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Newbie does more canning ... has more ???'s

15 years ago

Another busy canning day today! My oldest son was out of school today, so we made the Candy Apple Jelly, which was super easy, and makes a very pretty finished product. We will definitely give some of those away as Christmas gifts! The second recipe we tried was the Carrot Cake in a Jar, using carrots from our garden. The recipe says it makes about six (8 oz) jars, but it actually made seven. The last two jam/fruit butter recipes I did, only made 5 jars, so of course I didn't have that extra jar ready, and just put the extra in a container to store in the fridge.

Anyway, my first question is about floating fruit. The chunks of pears in the jars that were put in the BWB, rose somewhat, but the pears in that extra container that didn't get canned are distributed nicely. Is there anything I can do at this point? If I turn the jars upside down (after the 24 hour waiting period), would they redistribute? Sure, I know you could stir it when you open it, but I hate to give a flawed looking jar away as a gift.

Next question is about skimming the foam prior to filling the jars. How do you do it without scooping up the good stuff? Since some of the fruit was floating, I found it hard to skim the foam without scooping chunks of fruit along with it.

What about shipping jars of homemade goodies? Any way to get it there without breakage? All of my family lives over 1,000 miles away, and I would love to send them some jars for the holidays, but I just wonder if there is a way to protect them well enough.

Okay, last question for today ... is about freezing pesto. I was reading over the existing pesto threads on this forum, and I saw that it is recommended to freeze it without the cheese. Is this a space issue, or will it keep longer without the dairy? How long can you store it with the cheese, and how long without?

Thank you for letting me pick your brains a bit!

Oh, and now that I've made all of these fancy jams, jellies, and fruit butters, I don't want to waste them on a plain old piece of toast, LOL! I've been skimming through my cookbooks looking for a muffin or quick bread recipe worthy of opening one of those jars full of homemade goodness!

Bonnie

Comments (6)