SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allison704

How Has Your Decorating Style Evolved Over Your Lifetime?.. and more

Allison0704
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

The Contempory/Outdated thread on Home Decorating has me overthinking this morning. Lucky you!

Here is my post on that thread:

I am with you, IdaClaire. Too many also confuse Contemporary and Modern. They are not the same. In design, Contemporary does not refer to a specific era, it is the here and now, and is always evolving. It's often confused/used with Modern, which refers to early to mid 1900s. From Modern came Mid Century Modern in the 50s/60s.

Trendy, on the other hand, comes from trend, which the design (fashion and home) world depends on for growth and financially. Trends are ideas, and that doesn't mean new (from colors to accessories to... on and on). For something to be trendy, it is already mass produced and available for consumers to purchase. For me, "mass produced" is the key. You cannot fall into the Home Goods/Pottery Barn/RH/West Elm/IKEA well and not end up with a trendy home. This isn't to say you cannot shop at these stores, only buyer beware.

Outdated doesn't mean you can't incorporate a current trend in your home or wardrobe. But it does mean you will most likely want to replace it not too far down the road. Take any trend (barn doors, shiplap, mason jars, word art, gray paint or reaching further back wallpaper borders, Hollywood mirror lights, sponge painted wall) - at first you think, "how cool" and incorporate into your home. You start noticing it more often and before long you see it everywhere. A couple of years down the road, you are at the "what was I thinking" stage and BAM! It's time to redecorate/repaint. Something becomes outdated when it's no longer useful, or no longer acceptable by you and/or others. It doesn't mean you have to get rid of or replace. If you love and are using/enjoying it, or it has sentimental meaning it's not outdated. This is where you have to put on blinders and earplugs, aka don't listen to what others are saying/reading "outdated" lists online.

Our taste evolves as we mature, so things in our homes are eventually going to become "dated" in our eyes. If you do not fall into the marketing traps, your home can somewhat avoid becoming outdated.

~~~~~

I got off track, and deleted this the start of this portion, and thought it would be a nice discussion:

I much rather like to think my taste evolved when I replaced a pair of rose and blue den sofas in the late 80s/early 90s. I loved them while I had them, and they served our family of 5 well during their time. I can look back over my almost 6 decades (geez!) and define my evolution:

There was my 20s - young, very little extra money, but I was pulled toward antique stores, and vintage was reasonable.

30s - married with 3 small children, still shopped antique stores for casegoods and accessories, but bought new upholstered pieces for their durability.

Early 40s - spent three weeks in Europe, which my DH said was the most expensive vacation ever because I discovered my deep desire for European etchings, accessories, texture and more.

Late 40s we built our first custom home (English cottage with lots of stone and copper) and things transferred nicely.

Late 50s we remodeled the home my parents built in the 80s. Another stone house, refined and elevated in style and design. (First thread about the remodel here)

Things that have remained the same - bringing the outdoors in, fall colors, colors from my wardrobe make it into the home, antiques, vintage pieces, texture, collections, family pieces, buying something for the house when traveling. We still own things purchased in the 80s, and they find their way into new rooms and uses. I decorate for my family and our comfort. Pets are always welcome. Use the good china and silver.

Recently new to me - Mixing in modern elements. Mostly light fixtures and some furniture, and looking for art. Selling much loved pieces (mine and inherited). Color everywhere.

My #1 Rule - I never buy just to fill a space (it can sit empty for years), as something has to speak to me emotionally and/or visually to come home with me.

Well, that was longer than originally intended. I'd love to hear how your decorating style has evolved over the years, what has remained the same and/or recent introductions into your home.

Comments (13)