SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19774863

It's been a while and ketchup questions

User
12 years ago

Hi Folks,

It's been a while since I last posted. I pop in now and then just to see what's new but haven't had much to add. I have directed a couple of folks over from the Hot Pepper Forum when they start asking about pickling and canning using recipes that are not safe. I tell them what I know and direct them to the experts. ajsmama has become an active member over there so now there are two of us jumping on unsafe canning ;-))

Anyhow, I find myself in need of your sage advice. I've canned a lot of tomato sauce over the past few years but this year is my first attempt at ketchup. I've done a search but have come up blank. Believing there is no such thing as a stupid question (well, ok, I've asked a few myself) here I go.

Paraphrasing the NCHFP recipe (link below):

The procedure calls for:

- Skinning; peeling; coring; adding ground red pepper and onions and bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes.

- Add spiced vinegar and boil 30 more minutes.

- Put boiled mixture through a food mill or sieve.

- Add sugar and salt, boil gently, and stir frequently until volume is reduced by...

My questions are:

1) can I safely quarter the recipe (my gut tells me yes)?

2) I have the KitchenAid fruit and vegetable strainer which removes skin and seed and puts out a thin sauce. Can I cut the first boil and simmer time out, boil 30 minutes with onion and pepper powder, add sugar and salt and finish off gentling boiling down? Will I be introducing an unknown risk by not initially simmering down the chopped onions?

I know I'm asking about modifying a tested safe recipe. Am I asking stupid questions?

Do I need to put the training wheels back on my boiling water and pressure caners?

Thanks,

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP ketchup recipe

Comments (3)