SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luvtosharedivs

Edges without Eyes

luvtosharedivs
16 years ago

Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but I'm becoming more interested in DLs w/o eyes, that have striking edges, and I'd like you all to share your best recommendations.

I submitted a search of "Daylily edges without eyes", and came up with 485 matches. Being somewhat lazy, I didn't want to search through all of them!

BESIDES, this will give you all the chance to post more pics during these dreary wintery days!

Julie

Comments (24)

• juliet11
    16 years ago

I really like edges without eyes too - since where I live is a couple zones warmer than you, I don't know if these will perform similarly for you.

My most striking edge no eye is Seal of Approval. I'm disappointed in its performance for me because it's often very splotchy - I think the thrips really like it. Here's a photo of it on a good day. (It did much better this year since I treated it for thrips.)

Seal of Approval

A photo from last year when I didn't treat for thrips and a lot of the the buds just dropped off. (Color is off - this was before I got a better camera.)

Raining Violets (one of Seal of Approval's parents) performs better for me, but it's more subtle.

Raining Violets

I've only had Susan Weber for a year and she had bad spring sickness this spring and a very low bud count.

Susan Weber

Frosted Vintage Ruffles is one I got from Florida this spring and unfortunately it had already bloomed before I got it and didn't rebloom. I'm really looking forward to it blooming next year! It looked good in Florida and here's a photo of it I took there (which didn't turn out that well because it was so sunny):

Frosted Vintage Ruffles
    {{gwi:705342}}

Swedish Girl is one I've seen in several gardens and I've heard it does well. Here's a photo I took of it at an open garden this summer:

Swedish Girl
    {{gwi:990082}}

Beautiful Edgings is another very popular edge no eye, but I don't have a photo of it.

Juliet

• mizellie
    16 years ago

Julie, here is my picture of Susan Weber this year. The names of the others are on the bottom of the picture. Enjoy....Ellie

{{gwi:871303}}

{{gwi:987930}}

Golden Wisdom has a yellowish edge..

{{gwi:982322}}

{{gwi:982335}}

{{gwi:990083}}

{{gwi:990084}}

{{gwi:990085}}

Victorian Principals has watermark but no eye..

{{gwi:655050}}

{{gwi:827135}}

{{gwi:653599}}

{{gwi:680714}}

{{gwi:889789}}

{{gwi:934650}}

• Related Discussions

Best of the Daylily Colors

Q

Comments (12)
    Maryl - Last year we included several "forms" after the colors, I cut most of them out since I didn't want the posts to go very far in December like last year. How about we expand the toothy category to be Favorite Edges? Alex - I think we can post both registered cultivars and seedlings. Debra
    ...See More

Favorite Eyed Daylilies Without Edges 2019

Q

Comments (30)
    Nancy, I really like the bold color of your Rocky Top intro! It has a beautiful pattern on the sepals. Ocktoberfest is a great performer for me too. Wish my other Maryott daylilies grow as well. Kate, that's a really nice clump shot of Rasp. Candy! Signet, my favorites of yours are Linda Sierra, Hold Your Horses, and Rainbow Maker. Debra, Blazing Sadles and seedling are very nice! Brad, your Maleny Debutante is very pretty. That green throat really pops. The color combination reminds me of Ruby Lipstick. Celeste, all of yours are very nice but your purples and blues are always the most stunning. I missed a favorite seedling of mine that fits this category. Zebra power x Blue throated hummingbird
    ...See More

Schedule for Best of Color and Form Posts

Q

Comments (8)
    Sherry - I think it will be fine to post a daylily in two categories. I can think of a few of mine that would fit in three. Debra
    ...See More

Best Eyes Without Edges of 2021

Q

Comments (17)
    Debra, lol on your statement about eyes, edges, patterns! I thought I had lots in this category but as I pulled up photos I would look and discard because there would be an edge! Here are a few. Heavenly Dark Matter-has a little edge showing Mighty Chestnut Sweet Serenity Clown Parade Hello Screamer-another one that sometimes shows a little edge Judge Judy Flight of Orchids Napa Valley Merlot
    ...See More
  • mizellie
    16 years ago

Can't forget these four beauties...Ellie

{{gwi:990086}}

{{gwi:990087}}

{{gwi:672009}}

{{gwi:990088}}

{{gwi:990089}}

• plantdoctor
    16 years ago

now don't forget Chris Rogers intros---at www.labybugdaylilies.com-----i have several of hers in my collection

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Juliet,
    Your 'Seal of Approval' is awesome! I just researched it on Dave's Garden, and it should be fine for my zone, since it's a Sev, listed for Zones 4-10. I also like 'Swedish Girl', also Sev & Zones 4-10. 'Beautiful Edgings' is on one of my wish lists already.

Ellie,
    Gee willakers! So many to choose from! I keep scrolling back & forth, can't make up my mind which I like best. I think my favorites of yours are 'Susan Weber', 'Mort Morss', and 'Shores of Time'. Will research them later. I have 'Startle', and am not pleased with it at all! It is listed as being hardy to zone 3, and is dormant, but in my garden its colors are washed out, and shows a much thinner edge than all pictures I've seen. (I'm about ready to give it away!)

Thanks, Juliet & Ellie for sharing those gorgeous pics!

Plantdoctor,
    Thanks for your tip about ladybugdaylilies. I have visited that site before. In their welcome page, I read that Dan Hansen can't recommend all Chris Rogers Daylilies in zones 5 and colder until they are discovered to be hardy. (Testing plants anywhere takes time.) I see that his introductions are very beautiful, but too pricey for me right now. I have to be careful buying plants from southern states, because they may not bloom here with the exquisite coloring they display in the south. Thanks for the tip, though!

I just received my voucher from the AHS in the mail today (for upgrading my membership), so I'll have to do some careful research this winter and use it wisely....good thing the voucher is good for one year.

Any more beautifully edged (no eyes) DLs out there?

Julie

• mizellie
    16 years ago

Sorry, I found a couple more...Ellie

{{gwi:990090}}

{{gwi:990091}}

• okbt
    16 years ago

Uh-oh,Ellie.Blissful Blackberry Pie just sent "I'm done buying" out the window!
    Betsy

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Here's a few from my garden, that may qualify for what you're looking for...

{{gwi:671903}}
    {{gwi:667961}}

{{gwi:671914}}

If you like doubles here's a nice one

{{gwi:648387}}

{{gwi:648368}}

{{gwi:655029}}

{{gwi:632438}}

Hope you enjoyed the photos. :)
    Jan

• mizellie
    16 years ago

Betsy, I am sorry! I know how that is..this was his first full year with me and he did his stuff..

Jan, it would be hard and time consuming for me to pick the ones I like from yours as they are all gorgeous. I'm glad I have Belle Cook coming. I like Fancy Buttons too! ...Ellie

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

I'm always on the look-out for edge/no-eye daylilies. I think the first question I ever posted on this forum was whether there were any daylilies similar in appearance to Beautiful Edgings, so I've been hunting for a while.

Here's a few I grow:

BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS --

Stamile has a few new ones ('06 or '07) that I'll need to get at some point.

Chris

• lynxe
    16 years ago

I have only one daylily that fits this category - the well-known BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS.

I have another that I'm tempted to try to cram into the eye/no edge category. However, while it's certainly eye catching and looks at first glance like an eye/no edger....whether one can really call it that....I'm not sure. It's John Rice's 07 intro LOTUS POSITION. It's described as having a large creamy watermark "crowned by the reddish burgundy pinched petals with golden edges." And there's the issue: LOTUS POSITION, as well as many of the daylilies whose photos you've posted here, have gold edges. That, to me, excludes a daylily from the eye/no edge category.

I don't know whether I'm right though. It's just my opinion.

• lynxe
    16 years ago

I composed my previous post while one of my cats was standing in front of my monitor (this happens to me a lot)and didn't bother to review my post before posting it.. (here is cat again!)I got myself all jumbled up.... I'd been thinking about daylilies with distinct eyes and no edges, and I had the feeling what I was posting didn't make any sense. . Sigh. Sorry! HOpe this makes more sense. If jackarias is hanging around, he knows what I'm going through wiht my cats!

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ellie,
    I'm drooling over 'Blissful Blackberry Pie'!

Jan, They're ALL gorgeous! I have 'Ancient Wisdom' & 'Ed Brown' and like them both. 'Belle Cook' and 'Leah Abbott' stand out as my favorites of yours (but if I keep scrolling through them, I will surely change my mind 15 times.)

Chris,
    Boy, I asked for it, didn't I?!?!?
    Your Swedish Girl (like Ellie's) is a show-stopper! I love all of yours, but mostly 'Party Pinafore', 'Wild One', 'Blossom
    Queen' and 'Antique Rose'. I already have 'Big Smile' and 'Lady Liz'(a favorite of mine)

Thanks all for sharing your photos!

Lynxe,
    I found a beautiful photo of 'Lotus Position' on Dave's Garden Site:

Lotus Position

Thanks for sharing that one, but I'll have to research on it more, since it's evergreen.

Thanks again, all!
    (Keep 'em coming if any of you have more!)

Julie

• mizellie
    16 years ago

lynxe, I believe she want edges/no eyes rather than the reverse. How about my seedling garden named by Kay? Autumn Glory....Ellie

{{gwi:990120}}

{{gwi:672010}}

{{gwi:672011}}

• sweatin_in_ga
    16 years ago

When I started buying some of the newer daylilies, I just found pictures that I liked and bought the plants. It wasn't until later that I found that there was a name for what I liked best - - edge-no eye. Here are some of the one's I like best.

That's enough for now, but I've got more.
    Larry

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, this is getting harder and harder to pick favorites!
    At least now I have a "Library" to pick from, thanks to all of you!

Ellie,
    Your 'Antique Rose' is just a heart throb! Is that sandy soil I see?

Larry,
    'Darla Anita' is stunning! I think I already have that on my wish list. You have such a nice diversity of beauties. I will have some extra time off work between Christmas and New Year's Day to research them, to see what would be the hardiest for WI.

Thanks Ellie and Larry for the candy feast for the eyes!

Julie

• mizellie
    16 years ago

Julie, it is most definitly sandy soil. I have worked with it until I can't afford to do anymore. That's the reason my fans aren't as large as they should be but on the otherhand, it may be the reason I lose few to rot. Can't win em all, I guess....Ellie

• abbydales
    16 years ago

I absolutely love the edge with no eye look too! I especially love the look of SEAL OF APPROVAL and BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS, that sort of pastel with darker edge look. I have BE and SUSAN WEBER, have a source for a few others. Does anyone have any more to add? And does anyone know a good source for SEAL OF APPROVAL? I really love FORSYTH FLAMILNG SNOW, so lovely.
    Thanks!
    Sharon

• okbt
    16 years ago

Sharon,I got Seal Of Approval from the LA last year. It bloomed nicely for a first year plant.I paid less than $10 + shipping.

• ladylovingdove
    16 years ago

I didn't respond to this post before because I knew it would get me to looking at Chris Rogers intro's again. She and Dan Hansen have some intros that have eye no edges. I spent hours on his website before drooling. I will eventually order a couple from him. Here are two that definitely caught my eye in this category. There are more if you look through the photos on his website, Ladybug Daylilies.
    Pat Stamile also has some new ones in this category. Tipped in Rouge is one I like, and Edged in Pink. Ruby Border is a new intro for this spring. Pat is working with Tet Beautiful Edgings in his program. All pictures are by hybridizer.

Dot

Girls Gone Wild (Chris Rogers 08)

Cranberry Zinger (Chris Rogers 07)

Edged in Pink (Stamile 07)

Tipped in Rouge (Stamile 07)

Ruby Border (Stamile 08)

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

I'm with you Dot...love Chris Rogers intros, especially GGW.Wow...what a beautiful dl.
    Jan

• kitcatclub
    16 years ago

I saw a new one on the LA that was stunning (to me, anyway!). It's called ROSE COLORED GLASSES. I'm definitely going to watch for this one in the future!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Colored Glasses

• berrytea4me
    16 years ago

I have not grown this yet but ordered it for spring shipment....Antique Charm

Antique Charm

• abbydales
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh, some of those new intros are amazing.
    I love the "coast" series from Trimmer at Watermill Gardens, check out PACIFIC COAST and COAST TO COAST .