SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

New Papaya tree - will I get fruit ?

I am engaged in a discussion with a friend about whether I will ever have fruit on the new papaya tree I planted in March. It was 2 1/2 ft tall when I purchased it in Homestead, and it is now 5 ft tall easily. The plant has 4 trunks growing vertically, one is twice the diameter of the other 3, with the thinner one's wrapping around the thickest one, like snakes. Wish I could enclose a photo, but do not know how to do that yet.

My friend is telling me I could easily be wasting my time, as I cannot be assured I will have fruit later on. I planted a papaya tree 7 years ago in the Keys, and got plenty of fruit for two years, but wasn't aware then of the male/female flower thing.

Questions :

1. Can someone buy a papaya tree in a nursery that will never produce any edible fruit ?

2. I feel strongly that with four ( 4 ) healthy looking trunks growing vertically, that I should not have to worry about eventually getting papayas, the odds are well in my favor that I have at least one female tree. My friend strongly disagrees, says my chances are only 50/50 that I will ever see any papayas. Who is right ?

3. I am now seeing some small green lobe-like growths at the base of some of the upper green branches that extend out horizontally, are these future papayas as I think they are ?

4. Should I just leave the tree alone to grow as is, or do I need to separate or eliminate one or more of the four trunks ?

Thanks for any advise, am anxious to put my well meaning pal in his place. ( smile )

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!