SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevek871

Hanging papaya fruit tree identification help

stevek871
10 years ago

Hello...I was reading some older posts to try to get more information on this strange papaya tree I have. The tree has fruits that are hanging from stems. From what I could piece together, I have a hermaphrodite tree, but in those cases, I was reading fruits still grow next to the trunk.

Wife is from Thailand so she has made garden more tropical. We have around 8 papaya trees. Seven trees have fruit directly attached to trunk near top of tree. But one tree is about 8 feet tall now. For the first 3 years, there was no fruit. People would tell us the tree was male because flowers were at the end of long stems/branches. But in the past two years, the tree has produced fruit. Wife's friends who had grown up in countryside/farms in thailand also had never seen a tree like this.

At the top of the tree, there are flowers right next to the tree trunk. Tree also had long stems with a bell shaped flower which turned into fruits. When the fruits were smaller and lighter in weight, the tree was like an open umbrella. As the fruits got heavier, the stems would start bending so now all fruits are hanging next to the trunk. Another interesting thing is some of the stems would have multiple fruits on them.

If anyone has a similar tree or any idea why these fruit grow from stems, it'd be appreciated.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm