SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junkyardgirl

My plan for a truly tropical veggie garden

junkyardgirl
15 years ago

Tell me what you think. My side garden is my bugaboo. It's literally planted with anything and everything I had that had no other place to be. I've tried unsuccessfully over the years to get it under control, but to no avail. Today I finally pulled out the iochroma, that finally bit the big one.

One thing that grows well in there seems to be any kind of tropical root plant in the alocasia, colocasia family. So this is what I'm going to do. I'm going to make it my true tropical food garden. I'll plant all the tropical root plants, maybe even some yucca. I'll put bananas along the front, and papayas and spinach bushes along the side to close it in. Inside, it will be a tropical jungle of edible veggies. I think I might even plant the barbados cherry there.

I have perennial peanut in there now, but to be honest, it's never done too well, so I may move that, or I may move it to provide nitrogen to the other crops.

That's the side of my house that needs the major stucco work, so I was thinking maybe I would just put up wood siding instead, and make a trellis there to grow winged beans.

I'll leave the purple leaf plum in there, simply because it's too big to move, and I like the way it looks. It shouldn't get in the way too much.

What do you think?

Comments (4)