SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bubbledragon

Tacky suburban veggie garden plans

bubbledragon
15 years ago

So, I live in a suburban neighborhood, and I'm tearing out the plantings along one of our fence sides to plant vegetables. I'll leave the rest of the landscaping intact, for now. Is this terrible of me? I'm not sure that I care. It's a 6 ft privacy fence, and gets full sun all day after about 9 am.

Anyhow, I'll have a "plot" about 4 feet by 40ish feet. Is this a good amount of space for a few veggies? Would I be able to say... put up a trellis close to the fence and grow peas, with lettuce at their feet in front of them?

Here is the picture of the area I'm talking about, some shrubs will go, and some will be moved:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bubbledragon/2662119781/

Here is my shortlist of things to grow, only a few plants of each, really.

Peas

Lettuce and various spring greens

carrots

kohlrabi

banana peppers

bell peppers

jalapeno peppers

tomatoes (thinking about getting "potato top" seeds, which are a local heirloom variety)

Sunflowers

Rhubarb

If I can swing it... I'd also like to figure out a way to put in a tripod or two for some "baby boo" pumpkin vines. Not -really- edible, I guess, but so freaking cute.

I figure the peas I could trellis against the fence, and line up a few sunflowers against the fence, and then plant at their feet. Is this crowding too much? What do you think?

(My DH didn't want to "ruin" the landscaping for a garden... but I think if I keep him supplied with peppers, he'll not complain.)

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio