SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1fullhouse

Planning for a veggie garden

1fullhouse
17 years ago

I would like to start planning for a veggie garden in my yard, hopefully for fall if possible. Here's what I'm doing so far to ready the area, please let me know if I'm missing anything, or doing something wrong!

I've started a large compost pile, This was a fixer-upper house we bought with alot of overgrown vegetation, so thankfully not hard to find materials! I've plotted out a patch of ground that gets good morning sun, and afternoon shade.

There is some bermuda grass creeping in this area, but it's mostly pretty barren desert earth. A friend said to dig up and pull out as many roots as I can the lay a tarp over it for a month or so to kill off any other roots left over.

Then once my compost is ready, mix that in 50/50 with the current soil, pulling out rocks & clay. Then I'm ready to start planting? I've been reading a bit about checking soil ph, so I will do that to I think when I get to that point.

(By the way, I have 2 55gal compost barrels cooking right now, so hopefully I'll have a lot by the end of the summer.)

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Seraki

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor