SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancybeetoo

adapting NCHPF recipes

10 years ago

I have read many of the discussions here on canning salsa, tomatoes and fruits. I have found the experience of this group wonderfully informative and a good addition to the NCHFP book.

Thus follows a few questions. My apologies for the length of the post.

I will appreciate all replies in advance. Thank you for your time and for sharing your experience.

I have discovered a love for fruity salsas.

I have a salsa verde (tomatillo) recipe from the NCHFP that I enjoy. Here it is http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_salsa/tomatillo_green_salsa.html.

I would like to add some peach to that recipe and wondered what you thought about the safety of that.

The NCHFP recipe calls for 15 minutes in a BWB (pints). Peaches have a similar processing time (20 minutes).

So, if I make a batch that is 3/4 NCHFP recipe and 1/4 peach (cooked), and do BWB for 20 minutes, does that seem likely to be a safe recipe? I recognize that there is no such thing as absolute safety.

Another question along the same lines:

I know from reading that two major variables in determining safe canning are pH and density.

pH determines if pressure canning or BWB canning are appropriate.

Does density account for different lengths of canning in similar products? For example, I see that canning times on acidic fruit vary from 10 (grape juice) to 25 minutes (peaches, pears and plums) for pints. Does that reflect the fibrous nature of the fruit purees? Seems like the fibers would affect how convection carries the heat from the outside of the jar, in contact with the boiling water, to the inside of the jar. Grape juice in contrast would conduct or circulate (by convection) the heat more easily.
And lastly,

I find myself trying to understand the principles so that I can understand why the safe recipes are the way they are and what substitutions I can safely make.

Is there a good resource on line of in a book about the science of canning that I could read in order to understand the underlying principles?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County