SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canning_slinky

help adapting enchilada sauce recipe

canning_slinky
15 years ago

Hi all,

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. I've been canning up a storm this summer, thanks to all the wonderful recipes I've found here. Peach-twist salsa, Annie's salsa, roasted tomato-garlic soup.... Yum!

I have a recipe for enchilada sauce that I would really like to make a huge batch and can in pints since it takes forever to make. The original recipe is below.

I'd like to pressure can it (don't mind long processing times.) I've been looking at NCHFP trying to figure out what ingredient would dictate the processing time. According to them, the processing time for chicken stock is only 20 min. at 10lbs for pints! That seems really low to me. Can anyone offer some guidance? I'm thinking I'd leave out the oil and just add a touch of oil after I open the pints.

Thanks!

-----------------------

Recipe: Enchilada Sauce

-----------------------

3 dried pasilla chiles

2 c. chicken stock

1/4 c. fresh cilantro

3 garlic cloves

1/2 tbsp oregano

1/2 tbsp cumin

2 tbsp chili powder

6 tbsp sugar

2 tbsp red wine

1 tomato - chopped

coarse salt and pepper to taste

1 tbsp olive oil

Prep: Over med-high heat, toast chiles until fragrant (~30-60 sec.) Cover with chicken stock and allow to soften for 20 minutes.

Place chilese & stock in blender. Blend until chopped. Add cilantro, garlic, oregano, cumin, wine, tomato, salt & pepper. Blend until smooth.

Heat oil in heavy skillet. Pour sauce into oil and cook about 10 minutes.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES