SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

recovery

annafl
13 years ago

My garden has had a very tough year. First, the extremely cold winter did much damage. Then the lack of rain for months and once weekly watering restrictions. Then, a lot of rain all at once, bringing death to things planted in low spots. It's changed out of necessity. The strongest have survived, I have pulled a lot of stuff, stuck a lot of cuttings in the ground here and there. It still is recovering. However, as I walked down my garden paths this morning, for the first time this whole year, I felt like taking photos. Surely that means recovery. Still, a lot of areas are not up to snuff, but some have compensated well. Here are a few things I saw as I went down the paths.

This is the path most traveled. The colors this time of year are so vivid.

You all know how much I like foliage. These coleus have brought so much light to this dark area. I hope they make it through next winter, or I will definitely look for them again.

My garden gets shadier every year. I love the shade, but it is not always easy to find things that grow well in it year-round.

Tall pink pentas and starburst pentas are my signature plant, I guess. I can never get enough of them and stuff cuttings here and there everywhere I can. Only some of them take, but I keep trying.

We took more grass away again this year. The beds keep getting wider and wider. I still like a swatch of green, though.

This purple knight alternanthera is a lovely contrast to just about anything, but it takes quite a bit of maintenance to keep it in bounds. I think I went too crazy with cuttings this year. It is about to take over parts of my yard. Fortunately, it is easy to pull up and trim.

I've got to have those tall pink pentas just about everywhere. It mixes so well with all kinds of foliage.

This is my first year in a long time with the cassia alata, and I have really enjoyed the foliage all summer, and now, the vivid blooms. Looks so good with the tall pink pentas!

Hope you enjoyed the stroll.

Anna

Comments (34)