SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Feline Vestibular Disease - any recovery stories out there?

Debbie Downer
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Its been 2 weeks since I rushed Figgy to the ER with sudden frightening symptoms that looked like stroke or poisoning.... couldn't stand, yowling, eyes rrapidly flicking back and forth. His diagnosis is Vestibular Disease - Idiopathic (meaning they don't quite know what causes it but they do know its some disturbance or inflammation of the inner ear that totally disrupts balance and sense of where their body is in space.

The diagnosis was a HUGE relief - it was rough for a few days but he's doing much better, still a bit wobbly, still tilting his head and loses balance. Gets up and down stairs now but with some effort.

He's expected to make a full or almost full recovery - may be left with a permanent head tilt but should otherwise have good quality of life. PHEWWW

As a lifelong cat lover, Ive never ever heard of it before although my vet says its not uncommon. She said she sees about 1 case a year.

I was curious if anyone out there has a kitty with this condition and how was the outcome - how long did it take to recover?

And, I wanted to bring it to the attention of all you cat (and dog) lovers out there- one more thing to be aware of!

Comments (132)