SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cattman_gw

Where to grow sugar apple

cattman
15 years ago

Ever since I was about 8 years old I've wanted to live in Florida, and I'm finally going for it in my mid-40s. (Don't worry, I won't be taking anyone's hard-won job down there; my employer is in Boston and will let me work from home anywhere in the U.S!) Southwest Florida holds the most appeal for me, as I think I prefer the Gulf Coast to the Atlantic.

I'm a big fan of tropicals, and am currently growing a fair-sized sugar apple, several first-year soursops, ilamas, durians, and a couple bananas. I know durians are strictly greenhouse stuff but would love to have a sugar apple and an atemoya outside, if possible. At the very least I want my yard to have coconut palms, a dwarf mango, and an avocado growing/fruiting successfully outdoors.

Any recommendations how far south I'd have to be? I'm very interested in the Naples area, but liked what I recently saw of Sarasota County also. I'm just concerned that Sarasota may not be warm enough in winter. I guess I should mention that I have a lot of cattleya orchids, and while I can keep them in a greenhouse I do worry about salt spray, so don't want to be right on the Gulf.

Thanks Much!

Comments (13)