SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ninasmom_gw

Splurting jar in pressure canner

ninasmom
16 years ago

I just spent nearly 12 hours in my kitchen preparing bucket upon bucket of apples to convert into various goodies we can enjoy when the snow flies. I have one of those tabletop hand-crank apple-peeler/corer jobs so that's what took up most of the time! Regardless of my tired feet, arm and back, I enjoyed every minute ;oP

For my birthday, I got a Presto 16qt pressure canner so I could expand my horizons beyond pickling and freezing. One of the variations on the apples was three quart jars of prepared apple pie filling. As far as I know, I did do everything correctly, however........

The recipe said to pack the apples into the hot sterilized jars, then pour the syrup over them, completely covering them. This brought the apple/syrup right to the bottom of the neck of the jar. I had assumed that I had enough headspace, and I know apples tend to 'float' or rise so I thought I was safe.

Apparently I DID do something wrong, for when the pressure dropped to zero and I removed the lid, at least one of the jars was splurting a little bit of syrup from under the screw band, and another had just a tiny showing of syrup on the side of the jar. I left the jars in the canner for about 5 minutes with the lid off so the splurts would end up in the water and not on my counter, and as a precaution in case they decided to go 'boom!' I removed them with the jar lifter onto a towel, and 3 hours later they appear to be properly sealed.

If by some unfortunate chance the lids actually aren't sealed, is it possible to rework the batch with more headspace or would this just prove to make the apples all mushy?

Comments (8)