SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenglass_gw

Christmas shopping just about done ....

greenglass
17 years ago

Per my promise to Annie and this being Tuesday the day after HBN (even though last night I bowled kinda poopy our team won most of the points - whew!) I put up another dozen pints of salsa this evening. A bow on the outside of the jar, Annie's #4 on the lid along with the greeting of a smile and a Merry Christmas! and I'm thinking I'm just about done shopping for the festive season!

Whether it be a scuba diving message board or an ice fishing message board historically I have always been much more of a "lurker" versus one who posts. It has been to my benefit as I've learned so much, in all of these forums, learning from the experiences of others that I've rarely found myself comfortable enough to post something that I have found that worked for me. But tonight I did something that made my life easier and I'd like to share.

I've always hated digging tomato paste out of the those tiny little cans (Annie has this in her infamous receipe and maybe someday I'll gain the confidence to make my own tomato paste ... but that hasn't quite happened yet, so in the meantime ...). Dang it - I never have been able to clean those suckers out completely, for years now, and it's always just ticked me off. And I suspect that all of you experienced kitchen folk have figured out and have done for years now but I never got the clue but tonight I tried something and it worked for me. I opened both ends of the can, removed one end cap, and then used a spoon to push down on the remaining lid and forced the contents of the can into my pot and it came out just like a can of cranberries fit for Thanksgiving Dinner right into my salsa pot. Of course you need to remember to remove the other lid (okay, I'm a newbie canner ... I feel fortunate to have found that last lid before it ended up in someone's Christmas present and I only mention this with hope of saving others any embarassment!) LOL!

But it was a time saver for me and I thought I'd share.

My wife returns from Florida tomorrow night after a week of spending time with her Mom. I'm thinking that maybe the 25# bag of beets will be just fine, they can even wait for my attentions, and are not as important than spending some time kissing and hugging my bride while welcoming her back to the state of Michigan. As a new found canner who's obsessed I'm conflicted here ... your opinion is appreciated.

Also: does anybody else sing out a "THANK YOU!" when you hear another pint/quart bottle "pop" its'lid? It just seems like the polite thing to do and I've been doing it all evening!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm