SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelacan

roasted tomato garlic soup HELP!!

angelacan
14 years ago

Hello. Yes, I've searched this forum and read all I can and still have a question. I have made 12 x the recipe of this tomato soup today and will pressure can it tomorrow. I very lightly brushed olive oil on the all the veggies and roasted for approx. 1 hour. Dave said when asked about the safety about canning with oil that skinning the tomatoes after the roasting takes care of the safety issue. The recipe calls for the tomatoes to be roasted "cut side up." So, how does skinning the tomatoes remove the oil?? Also, on a few of the roasted batches I poured off the extra liquid (which of course is the veggie juice and a little oil!) right into the soup pot. Could someone please tell me if this is safe to pressure can? I really don't want to freeze it as space is an issue but would try to make room if I had to. Thank you so much.

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

I have made 12 x the recipe of this tomato soup today and will pressure can it tomorrow.

Then the small amount of oil in this recipe isn't the worst of your problems. You don't make something one day and pressure can it the next. The hot temperature of the product must be maintained throughout the process for safety. You heat, jar, lid, and into the pre-heated pressure canner.

And you should never multiply any recipe by that much. Double a recipe - maybe. Doing more should be avoided whenever possible especially when working with risky low-acid foods. It simply isn't safe as accuracy of proportions in lost in the process, not to mention the problems of getting it all processed immediately as needed.

Oil goes on the pan, tomatoes are roasted cut side up (means the skins are on the roasting pan and in contact with the oil). They peel right off each section and are pitched along with most of the oil.

Tomorrow you will have to empty the jars back into a pot, reheat all the soup to boiling and re-jar using fresh clean jars and new lids and then process it immediately. You only fill as many jars at one time as you can process in the pressure canner at one time.

Then you reheat the soup again, put more in jars and process it. Since you multiplied the recipe so much you really are going to need help to get it all processed correctly.

Good luck.

Dave

• angelacan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Dave. I have a large pot covered in the fridge with everything but the chicken stock which I will add tomorrow. I will bring enough soup to fill 7 quarts to a boil while leaving the rest in the fridge and do that until I'm done. I felt safe doing this because a whole recipe only makes 1.5 - 2 quarts so it didn't seem too crazy! I totally thought I read somewhere to brush on the oil and so I did! Never even thought to put it in the pan. Do you really think it will be safe to pressure can in regards to the oil?? I'm not new to pressure canning and canned over 90 quarts of green beans this year so I feel confident enough to process safely. Please let me know what you think regarding the oil if you get the chance and thanks again.

• Related Discussions

??? About Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup

Q

Comments (3)
    There's no reason you can't sub dill, especially since you are freezing it. I think the amount will be personal taste!! For me, I wouldn't want as much dill as basil, but depends on how much you like dill. You could also do some without any herbs and add what strikes your fancy at meal time! Sorry, not much help. Deanna
    ...See More

Please Help with Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup

Q

Comments (12)
    No, I haven't tasted it, it's still cooling down on the counter. You can see the skins in there, so it may just get used for pasta sauce or Chili. If I get some more tomatoes, I'll try it again and this time skin them. And I'm going to type it into my recipe. I wondered when I was roasting it but I just figured the recipe would mention it if it was needed. Boy do I feel stupid!! Oh well, live and learn. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but all of my tomato plants died this year and these were a gift from a friend. And it was a double batch.
    ...See More

freezing Katie's Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup?

Q

Comments (1)
    I would not hesitate to freeze the soup. You may have to blend it again after it thaws. I freeze my roasted red pepper bisque. It just needs to be whisked after thawing.
    ...See More

Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup

Q

Comments (2)
    Well, if you add celery then it won't be Carol's recipe. But I think it would be good, but different. I would add the celery to the pot after the rest of the stuff was roasted.....I think roasted celery will get stringy and don't think roasting would add much to the flavor. Linda C
    ...See More
  • readinglady
    14 years ago

I don't see a problem as long as you're careful with measurements of the low-acid items and maintain proportions. Katie's original recipe doesn't even call for removing the peels, just blending them in. (I do in mine.)

Her processing time is designed to allow for those low-acid ingredients and a small amount of olive oil, just as with any soup which might include residual fat from meat.

Carol

• melva02
    14 years ago

I often make a product one day then reheat it for canning the next. I don't see a significant loss of quality from one day in the fridge, and it makes the process a lot more manageable. It's not much different from letting jelly or preserves rest overnight to minimize floating fruit.

Now if someone's talking about canning the next day without a thorough reheating (not just waiting for the first few bubbles in a thick product), then yes, safety issue.

Melissa

• shirleywny5
    14 years ago

I make lots of Katie's soup. I do not peel the tomatoes. Just make sure they are washed well before roasting. You don't even have to use the oil. Maybe, just brush a bit on the grill pan to keep them from sticking. After you roast and blend, you may remove any seeds left and then reheat all and place in jars. I would not pour off any juice. Just mix it in. I would can in pints only as I believe the PC time is for pints.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Sorry to have to disagree with 3 respected members but I have to in this case.

Large multiplications of low acid recipes is not recommended nor approved. And all the oil that resulted in this use of one and the need to delay processing are just two of the reasons why.

The Roasted Tomato Soup is safe as it is written - as a small batch recipe. Multiply it by 12, brush all the vegetables with oil, and delay processing and you will have seriously undermined the safety of the recipe.

It has now incorporated a large amount of oil which will go rancid at best, and potentially encapsulate any botulism spores that may have existed and prevent them from being killed. And toxins have had 24 hours to develop in it as well since the heat levels weren't maintained.

Granted you don't have to remove the skins if you follow the original recipe but since skins are required to be removed in most all other tomato recipes and since the skins are the primary source of contamination, why wouldn't you when it is so easy? Now you have 12x the skins and 12x the possible contamination.

Delaying processing on acidic foods like jams and fruits is one thing - not recommended but likely safe. Delaying processing on low-acid foods is a whole different ballgame.

We are especially food-safety conscious in our house - I acknowledge that here often and it is thanks to all the canning classes we have taken over the years - so if that makes me overly cautious, so be it. I would try to skim out any oil that may have separated over night, bring all this back to a good boil, and then freeze it.

Dave

• angelacan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much to everyone. I am not a "wing it" kind of canner. I have canned for years, it's my favorite thing to do, but I follow each approved recipe to the letter. So, I'm erring on the side of not wanting to lose any sleep and I'm freezing. WAH! May try again if I can get more tomatoes.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I also do not believe that prepping ingredients one day and canning them the next is a problem, I do it all the time with salsa.

I don't think your soup would be a problem canning either, not even 12 times the recipe and with the oil. I was stunned when the 3 bean salad recipe I got from NCHFP called for 1/4 cup of oil.

Annie

• malna
    14 years ago

I did find an old copy of Katie's recipe in my files for a processing time of 70 minutes for quarts (here's the recipe I have for comparison and in case someone can't find it by searching):

Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup

Recipe By :Katie
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Preserving Soups

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    12 tomatoes -- *see Note
    2 carrots -- cut in 2" pieces
    1 large onion -- quartered
    2 whole heads garlic -- peeled (or more, to taste)
    olive oil
    2 cups chicken broth -- (or 3)
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil -- (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
    cream -- to taste (do not include when canning!)

Core tomatoes and cut in half. Place, cut side up, on foil covered cookie sheet with carrots, onion and garlic. Brush with olive oil. Drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar if desired. Bake at 400F for about an hour, or until vegies are roasted and a little blackened.

Place in a large saucepan with the chicken broth and basil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Blend with a stick blender (or in small batches in a blender) until almost smooth. Add cream to taste.

*Note: These measurements are approximate...I use whatever it takes to cover the cookie sheet. This makes 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of soup.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : To can: Do not include cream when canning. Ladle into clean hot jars and leave a one-inch headspace. Process pints 60 minutes and quarts 70 minutes. For dial gauge canners use 11 lbs. pressure at 0-2000 ft., 12 lbs. at 2001-4000 ft., 13 lbs. at 4001- 6000 ft., and 14 lbs. over 6000 ft. For weighted gauge canners use 10 lbs. pressure at 0-1000 ft. and 15 lbs. over 1000 ft.

• readinglady
    14 years ago

As I had mentioned, I do peel the tomatoes as a personal choice.

On this issue, I do respectfully disagree with Dave. I feel very comfortable scaling this recipe to a larger amount and processing as directed. The oil I use is minimal. As I said, no more than in any other soup with chicken or ground beef.

I simply do not see how a soup that is not dense, has no solids and is no fattier than many other soups, processed according to the standard time for soups (pints), would be unsafe.

But, each of us has to decide where the line is on what we process. There was a time when this recipe was discussed thoroughly with KatieC its originator, a Master Food Preserver and Extension employee and trainer. (Please someone correct me on this if my memory is faulty.)

Unfortunately, those original threads are long gone.

Carol

• mom2wildboys
    14 years ago

Here's a link to a thread wherein I posted some questions about this recipe and received helpful responses from the experts. The thread can't be found when searching on gardenweb anymore, but I easily found it on google.
    Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: Katie's roasted tomato soup and canning paranoia question