SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swflagrdnr

Learn from my mistake

swflagrdnr
14 years ago

About three years ago, I put down a thick, thick layer of mixed hardwood mulch in the landscape beds around my house. It worked awesome. No weeds in the beds, and my plants took off from all the extra, retained moisture. I also noticed that the soil quality (it had previosuly just been sandy/shelly/rocky fill) really improved as well - it became soft and dark instead of sandy and white.

Anyway, in March we were having a party, so I figured I would "spruce up" all the mulch in the beds, which had weathered from a dark brown to a silvery grey. I raked the top surface of the mulched beds, turning over the old and bringing new to the surface. It looked awesome, very dark and rich in color.

Then, in May when the rains came, I noticed some weeds cropping up in the mulch. Before I knew it, All the beds were choked thick with all sorts of weeds. It has been a disaster. I cannot really spray these weeds because of the proximty to desried landscape plants and covering the ground up with paper or cardbioard, well, there's just too much. Evidently, what I did was effectively "sow" all the weed seeds that landed in the mulch but couldnt find a place to germinate on its hard, dry "silvery" surface. By turning over the mulch the way I did, I introduced these seeeds to the softer, darker "compost" or "humus" undrneath, and they all sprouted.

So, PLEASE take my advice: just put down new mulch - dont try to rejuvenate old mulch.

Comments (7)