SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen288_gw

Learn from my mistake

jen288
15 years ago

A long time ago I posted here with the question "How do I get his name off the mortgage?" Well IÂm back again, not so much for a question but I am posting this as a warning.

Never, EVER under any circumstances purchase a home with someone you are not married to. I made that mistake and my life has been a living nightmare for he past year and itÂs not over yet.

I was dating a man for 10 years. 5 years ago I inherited some money and well, everything was puppies and kittens and rainbows with this man and we decide to buy a house together. To make a long story short, we purchased a home (with me putting a HUGE amount of my inheritance as a down payment) both of our names are on the mortgage. And the deed.

Before you all say "What were you thinking?!?". I know, I know. IÂve already beat myself up about that and IÂm over it. By all accounts the future was so bright we had to wear shades. Who knew that a year of purchase I would encounter unemployment, drug abuse and infidelity (him)?

So here I am. Winding down at the end of a costly (read $$$$$, seriously), lengthy partition lawsuit. He would not agree to sell. Both he and I were unable to buy one or the other out due to ruined credit. I had a financial backer to offer him money, to quit claim the deed to me. He refused. If I had a million dollarsÂhe would refuse that. He is spiteful and vindictive because I chose to exit the relationship. He refuses to leave the property, too. ItÂs awful.

Young couples, people buying houses together for investment, PLEASE, PLEASE make sure you have a contract drawn up so in the event of a break up or dispute there wonÂt be any issues. Or better yet put it in one name and one name only.

If I had been married, a divorce would have been way cheaper and way quicker. IÂve learned my lesson. ItÂs a bitter pill to swallow, but I am making it my mission to educate. Please! If you know anyone who wants to enter into a fateful partnership as this, STOP THEM! I WISH I had someone to prevent me from doing it. Let my mistake be you gem of knowledge.

Comments (18)