SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

So, have you noticed?

calliope
9 years ago

The recommendations on how to prepare jar lids for canning has changed? I hadn't until tonight when for the fourth or fifth time since I started working up tomatoes, a jar in each load has failed to seal, usually the wide mouth ones. The narrow mouthed lids are sealing fine.

OK.........even my husband noticed because I RARELY have a lid failure and he's seen the jars in the fridge where I put them until the next day to be re-processed with the next batch I can.

Note: I buy a name brand lid for the wide mouth jars, and get my regular lids in bulk. I got to Googling to see if this is some sort of trend and find a blog with mention of the new guidelines for one of the major lid manufacturers said they should not be warmed, but used at room temperature. The blogger states that she called the company and they had informed her that they have changed the compound they use for sealing and that's why.

OK, I have canned for fifty years and keep up on new guidelines, but honestly ....why would an experienced canner who has used the same name brand lid for decades read instructions on each box on how to ready lids and bands for canning? I have to suspect that this is my problem with the wide mouth lids (nothing else has changed in my technique) Just a head's up if you are having issues lately with lids to read the box. argh

Comments (19)