SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Chocolate Raspberry Jam questions

prairie_love
15 years ago

I am going to make the Raspberry with Chocolate from Mes Confiture in the next few days and have a few questions, most of which are probably very obvious but ...

1. I can't get enough raspberries in one day, but assume it is not a problem to keep them in the fridge for a couple days before using? And did you really not rinse them as the recipe says? I do grow my own, and usually eat them without rinsing, but somehow it makes me a bit uncomfortable to make something for canning and storage that won't be rinsed.

2. The recipe says to put the raspberries through a food mill (fine disk), and then I use the raspberry pulp. Why? Why not just use whole raspberries and sort of mush them up as they cook? Also, the food mill I have is the Foley type. Even with the fine disk, I am afraid too much will go through. What have the rest of you done at this step?

3. In a previous thread you all talked about the type and amount of chocolate. Someone (Melissa, I believe) said she had made it with a 4-oz bar of 60% cocoa (Ghirardelli) and one ounce of unsweetened chocolate. I also could not find the 68%, so bought the same Ghirardelli 60%. Why did she also use unsweetened? And the total was 5 oz, as opposed to the 9 oz called for, but am I right that everyone seems to feel that is a better amount? I realize it depends on the taste buds, but just wondering what you all like. If I were to want to use a bit more chocolate, can I just use more of the 60% Ghirardelli, up to 9 oz? (I don't think I'll use that much, but just checking on the can-do stuff).

Thanks so much, I'm really looking forward to this one.

Ann

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting