SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zabby17

About that Chocolate-Raspberry Jam

zabby17
16 years ago

I've been fantasizing about making it for a year now, and finally did last night. MAN, is it good! The raspberry flavour is the main thing, and the hint of chocolate rather intensifies it. Mmmmm.

But I did wonder about including the chocolate. I presume it is a recipe considered safe, because I know I got it here (though I uncharacteristically didn't note from whom --- argh, I hate that, I prefer to give credit where it is due), and don't remember any debate or warnings that would surely have ensued if it wasn't; I would have definitely noticed, because I knew I wanted to try it.

But doesn't chocolate contain fat, in the form of cocoa butter, which is generally a no-no? Anyone know why it is OK? Is it because it's a small amount --- 3 ounces of chocoate in a six pints of raspberries?

Or maybe it's NOT safe, I'm remembering wrong, and I need to keep it in the fridge? (There is, frankly, NO question of not eating it --- it is TOO good!)

I've made 7 cups of potentially toxic deliciousness? (Frankly I would probably eat it anyway, it is SO good!)

Also, any ideas on if it matters what chocolate one uses? The recipe said unsweetened squares, and I used a dark (70% cocoa) slightly sweetened Swiss kind, because the squares available were not as good a quality, and if I was going to the trouble of sieving a bunch of raspberries I wanted to start with good ingredients. I assume the only difference is that I ended up adding a wee bit more sugar.

Any thoughts?

Zabby

Comments (55)