SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Any sourdough experts -- I need help.

denninmi
14 years ago

I have a question about sourdough starter that I need some advice on.

I wanted to try a sourdough for bread baking. My sister sent me a recipe that she swears by, and she's been making good sourdough for years.

The recipe wasn't anything special or very complicated -- it consisted of 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour (said preferably stone ground and organic) 1 1/2 cups of unbleached white flour (also preferably organic), 1 tablespoon of sugar, a packet of dry yeast, and 1 cup of pure water (not chlorinated tap, for example). Directions were to mix it up, let it set at room temp for 24 hours, then start feeding it with the addition of flour and water every day. It was said to be good to use after about 5 days.

Anyway, I'm on day 10 now. It's a very lively starter in the sense that it boils, foams, and bubbles big time when I feed it every day. I also tried baking some bread with it, and it rose beautifully and made a loaf with very nice texture.

However, the problem is the flavor. This stuff is NOT sour at all. What it is, however, is highly alcoholic. Frankly, I tasted it the other night, and to my tastes, it was like downing a shot of vodka or whiskey -- burnt my throat, watered my eyes, etc.

I'm sure that any self-respecting alcoholic would love the stuff, but the bread I made with it didn't taste like sourdough, either, it tasted like I'd made it with beer or wine or some other alcoholic beverage substitute for the water. This isn't what I wanted. I don't drink at all, and I really don't like the flavor of alcoholic beverages as a rule, although once in a great while I will use a little wine in my cooking, but I don't like this flavor in my bread

So, is this just a phase this is going through, or is it just the type of organisms in there? Aside from the yeast, the purpose of the stone ground, organic wheat flour in the starter was to add wild yeasts and bacteria to the blend. Good in theory, but I'm not sure that happened. I haven't been refrigerating it, I've been leaving it open to the air in the hopes that new microbes will move in an make it more sour. Hasn't happened to date.

Can I save this, or should I just scrap it and maybe order some commercial starters?

Comments (3)