SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamelainfl

help...I got weeds!

pamelainfl
16 years ago

I am going crazy trying to control the weeds in my lawn. Is there ANYTHING I can put on them to kill just the weeds and not my grass or other plants? I've been pulling them almost every morning but they seem to grow faster then I can pull them. I would highly appreciate ANY advice anyone can give me before I'm put in the nut house.

Comments (11)

• goldenpond
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Take a deep breath and read what
    ****Genesis 3:18 says about weeds in your garden ,,,,,,,,,
    It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you will eat the plants of the field by the sweat of your brow.
    So, If weeds are all it takes to put you in the nuthouse you better head to a condo LOL
    I will never be rid of all my weeds and in fact butterflies LOVE my Spanish Needles. I pull weeds daily,I burn them with my weed dragon,I hoe,I mulch,I dig.
    That is gardening.
    Even if you get rid of them seeds from the neighbors will blow over and start more weeds.Birds will bomb you with their weed seed rich poop!
    I purposely invited a group of gardeners to my not so perfect garden, I wanted them to see it was ok to have a few weeds and know that if we wait for perfection to share our garden ,we never will.
    Again I will share my heartfelt saying.
    A garden is a gift,,,open it!

• manature
    16 years ago

Goldenpond has a good point. We all strive to keep noxious weeds out of our yards, but unless we want to be driven totally insane, it's probably a good idea to accept something less than perfection.

I haven't been out back to weed since the first of August, except for torching my brick pathway. I kept it up all the way through July, but it suddenly just got hotter than I could stand. So my beds are full of weeds now...I have bidens (spanish needles) 3 feet tall all along my fence line. I was looking at them from my porch yesterday, thinking I would need a FLAME THROWER to get rid of them. However, while I was watching, two sulphur butterflies and one monarch came by to nectar from them, so I'm going to tell any visitors that I left them there ON PURPOSE, for my butterflies!!! hehehe

Wish I could be more helpful, but I've learned not to worry overmuch about this stuff. I weed when the weather and time permit me to, and I don't worry any more the rest of the time.

Marcia

• wanda662
    16 years ago

Weeds are a blessing in my yard, they are green and the grass is brown!

• coffeemom
    16 years ago

You could spot spray with Round-up but it will kill your back. Weed and feed won't work in this heat from what I understand.
    I'm standing(hunched over)with you.
    Fight on!!!!

• countrynest
    16 years ago

Golden,
    you said it so beautifully. I was cutting down some weeds in my back field when I notice one of my bees.I stopped because they need those wild flowers to make my honey.Many of those weeds are medicinal. I have been weeding my herb garden this week, I found it. In the tall weeds, he he he. I left a weed called "Mexican Pasote" which a tea made from it will expel
    Intestinal parasites. It is also good for gas and if you cook your beans with some of it, the beans will not give yu gas. Interesting, no? LOL
    Felix

• lakeron
    16 years ago

Four inches of concrete. Well, you did say ANYTHING. Then make it a big patio with planters. If still too many weeds in the planters replace live plants with plastic ones and cement tops of planters. Umbrellas in concrete filled buckets substitute for trees.
    Engineers love a challenge.

• JoanM
    16 years ago

God Finds Out About Lawn Care

Imagine the conversation The Creator might have with St. Francis about this:

"Frank you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there? What happened to the dandelions, violets, thistle and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect, no maintenance garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long-lasting blossoms attracted butterflies, honey bees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colors by now. But all I see are these green rectangles."

"It's the tribes that settled there, Lord. The Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers 'weeds' and went to great extent to kill them and replace them with grass."

"Grass? But it's so boring. It's not colorful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees, only grubs and sod worms. It's temperamental with temperatures. Do these suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?"

"Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn."

"The spring rains and cool weather probably make grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy."

"Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it _ sometimes twice a week."

"They cut it? Do they then bale it like hay?"

"Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in bags."

"They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?"

"No, sir. Just the opposite. They pay to throw it away."

"Now let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so it will grow. And when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?"

"Yes, sir."

"These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and saves them a lot of work."

"You aren't going believe this Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it."

"What nonsense! At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes. Plus, as they rot, the leaves form compost to enhance the soil. It's a natural circle of life."

"You better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have drawn a new circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles and have them hauled away."

"No! What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the winter and keep the soil moist and loose?"

"After throwing away your leaves, they go out and buy something they call mulch. They haul it home and spread it around in place of the leaves."

"And where do they get this mulch?"

"They cut down trees and grind them up."

"Enough! I don't want to think about this anymore. Saint Catherine, you're in charge of the arts. What movie have you scheduled for us tonight?"

"Dumb and Dumber, Lord. It's a real stupid movie about..."

"Never mind I think I just heard the whole story."

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

joanm,
    thanks for that I had been looking for that story to send to my friends at the EXT office!
    Pamelain. Please don't think we are being mean but sometimes ya just gotta laugh about a situation or you'll cry. Just laugh at those weeds and start enjoying the good stuff in your garden!Chances are you are the only one that notices them anyway.SMILE!

• gardencpa
    16 years ago

I guess I have to chime in with everyone else. If you have weeds, you are truly a card-carrying Florida Gardenweb member. If you go to the nuthouse, you will find weeds there too.

• pamelainfl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone. I do feel better about my weeds now. I guess I just needed to vent. I feel better that I'm not the only one with weeds. LOL
    joanm, that was great! I actually printed that conversation out so I can look at it whenever I'm feeling unweed friendly.
    I will continue to weed my garden and lawn but I will have a better attitude about it.
    Thanks again everyone who replied. You guys are awesome!
    Pamela

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Pamela , don`t worry about the weeds ..........

I can remember when we found out my father in laws cancer had spread to his liver and hip. My husband literally stopped cutting our yard. We could get away with it because we are in the county, not in town. I was not able to use the mower ( 48" commercial Lesco walk behind ). My hands were to small to work the controls. Every time I suggested hiring someone Steve would snap at me. He was " going" to do it.

I can honestly say I have NEVER had so many butterflies in my garden . The spanish needles were up to my hips. I would sit on my front porch awe struck ! There were thousands here on our 1.25 acres. That was the moment I developed my " I don`t care about weeds " attitude.

A few weeks from now, it will start cooling off and the weeds can wait ! I always get my first humming bird in the last week of September first of October. And when the arrive , I will be outside to greet them !