SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tweetypye

Bought some beautiful seedlings........(pix)

tweetypye
15 years ago

from Paul Owen at Slightly Different Nursery. Ordered them last night and he shipped them out this morning. How's that for service. I just hope they make it by Friday or else I'm going to have to give my son a quick lesson on planting dl's as I will be leaving Sat. morning for PA. :)

Here's what I got.

(Kathleen Salter x Early Snow)x Pearl Cove X Jo Anne Bruce

Karla Kitamura X Iowa Girl

Charles Johnston X Sp. Royal Ransom

(Cherokee Pass x Least Expected) X Kusadasi

(Ghandi x Tried And True) X Lace Cookies

He really has some nice ones to choose from at great prices.

Jan

Comments (40)

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

They are all beautiful, but the orange one especially reaches out to me.
    kay

• mlwgardener
    15 years ago

Oh my, what beauty!! I'm interested in teh Charles Johnston cross. I have one that I'm growing. It's so hard to get a pod to set for me, but it sure does have beautiful babies. I only have the one, but would like more. Do you have a web site for him.

Blessings, Mona

• Related Discussions

Latest seedling photos...(lots of pix)

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks everybody...it's good to be back and have things about back to normal around here. We will miss my MIL terribly, but know that she's in a much better place without all the pain and suffering. Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, emails, and concerns during this time of sorrow for us. You are the greatest and very much appreciated. I'm glad you all are enjoying some of my seedlings. They are winding down now, unless I have some late bloomers or maybe some rebloomers. I did notice there are still scapes on quite a few of my Jungle Beauty x Land Of Cotton seedlings, so maybe I'll have more of those to share with you soon. Jan
    ...See More

Some lates, some reblooms (pix)

Q

Comments (17)
    It's so tough to pick a favorite out of all those beauties! If I could choose three to purchase right now, I'd take T.Tigress, (need more oranges) Larry Grace, (need more yellows) Clockwork, (a unique yellow-gold on my monitor) You are so lucky to get re-bloom in the South. I rarely see it in my zone. Thanks for sharing your beauties, Julie
    ...See More

Some old, some new..Pix

Q

Comments (7)
    Thank you Val. Some are better than others but improvement is on the way. It's been very hot for the last few days and we are supposed to get some rain wed nite and Thurs. That will help!! Linda, that's pretty much why she was named that. Frank Smith said some kept repeating " Fabulous" as they went through the garden so, hence, her name. Thanks for looking at my " fabulous dly pix"....Ellie
    ...See More

A seedling and some clumps....(pix)

Q

Comments (5)
    Indian Ripple is awesome and I bet it's an eyecatcher in the garden too. Walter Jablonski probably doesn't get the attention that IR does, but you're so right about the late bloomers. Maybe they know they can't compete with the others so they wait a little longer to make their appearance:) Then they can really shine! Vickie
    ...See More
  • tweetypye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sure do Mona....once there, click on the Selected Hybrid Sale link on the left side of the page. :)
    Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Slightly Different Nursery

• mareas
    15 years ago

Oh Jan! Those are beautiful choices! Congratulations!
    I would be GREEN with envy (I have yet to not want ANY of Paul's seedlings) except that I got to go to Tragar's nursery & pick up some seedlings yesterday, too! I bought a couple of plants from him on the LA (he offered some that I've drooled at here on GW & I couldn't help myself) and was lucky enough to go pick them up in person. His retail nursery is incredibly beautiful: full of huge healthy trees, roses, shrubs of all kinds, succulents, anything you can think of - including a field of dreams for a daylily lover. I came home with a wheelbarrow full, LOL!
    Anyway, those are beautiful kids you got from Paul - looking forward to your photos next year, marea

• lilynut
    15 years ago

The first one looks like something I'd like to use in my programs with teeth and with other green hued plants. I'll take it if you end up not wanting it. big grin

Bruce

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow Mareas...you're so lucky to live close enough to Tragar to visit in person. He posts some of the most gorgeous seedlings ever. Such edges I've never seen on some of his. I should have bid on some of them when he listed on the LA, but somehow didn't get around to it. :(

Bruce....Paul may still have some of that white/green seedling if you're truly interested. :)

Jan

• tjhemmer
    15 years ago

Love the 1st one. Green throats is one of my things. Can't complain about any of the rest of them either.

Tom

• opnjmprs
    15 years ago

They are all lovely, but I really love that first one. Such a beauty.

Linda

• carefreeplants_2008
    15 years ago

Those are beautiful, Jan!
    My favorite is #3, and also #4.
    and I am trying my best not to visit Paul Owen's website for the sake of the lawn.

Bj

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

Hi Jan,

I got two of the fourth one and one of the third one you bought. I went for oranges and purples and bitones and eyes.

I got 17 1nd 18 and 56 and 82.

I also got 126, 221, 316, 322, and 403. I could easily have gotten at least five and probably 10 more.

Kay

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kay, you picked up some great ones too. #'s 18, 221, and 322 were on my original list, but I had to narrow it down so they got taken off. :( It was hard to decide which ones to get. I tell you what though, you and I will need to do some trading cause it sure seems like we have the same taste in dl's! LOL
    Jan

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

I gave up and posted the others that I bought today, Jan. I bought your third one and two of the fourth one also.
    kay

• jan53_2008
    15 years ago

I am fast finding out just how quickly the "fever" hits when you read these posts!!! I couldn't order from Paul, because I had just ordered more from North Haven after I read someone else's post about their sale, and I had already ordered two more orders that will be coming in soon. So I will have about 40 more to plant when they all arrive. Oh well....this year was the first year that my daylilies did really well, as I planted the first ones in 2006 and the last ones in fall 2007. They made me smile every day this season and I felt such joy when I walked outside to have my coffee in the early mornings. I am very fortunate and get to work out of my home now, instead of having to leave and go to an office, so that gives me much more time to truly enjoy them! LOL Jan G.

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

Jan G.

A little thing like a lot to plant never seems to stop me. I have a huge Maryott's order and a fairly big (14 I think) order coming from Marietta. I think I have a pretty good one coming from Aren't I Pretty too. I have a small one (3 plants) coming tomorrow, and another small one mailing out Monday. (Maybe 5 or 6 depends on the bonuses). And I have these ten coming from Paul Owens which will rival anything from anyone else. The fans I've gotten from him have been HUGE!.
    kay

• jan53_2008
    15 years ago

Hi Kay! Planting didn't stop me.....but finances did, unfortunately. The ones I planted in the fall last year were planted one week before I went in to have my L. Hip replaced, and it didn't feel so good doing it, but I gritted my teeth, dug in and did it anyway. I do have to be careful, as all the heavy work I did in my younger years is definitely reminding me now. One hip replaced, one to go, and two knee replacements coming up...when I have the guts to decide to go back and succumb to more surgery. Before all this hit me, nothing stopped me from doing anything I wanted to do, physical or otherwise. I hate having to stop and think before I do something, but I always know it is worth it, and I enjoy the beauty so much when they are blooming that I don't care. The roses and daylilies have kept me sane, especially since I work at home now and have time to actually enjoy them in the daylight 7 days a week, not just on maybe a Sunday off! Quite a change for me, and why I dove into gardening because I never had time to do much of it before the last year. I love it, and love the joy and rewards of the hard work and the compliments when people stop on the street and comment on my yard!!! I am still learning so much every day, and do much more "listening" on here than actually posting, as I am soaking up the information and applying it to my gardens! Thanks to you and everyone, as I love to see everyone's pictures and read all the posts! I too have a list of "must haves" going that I have been introduced to on this forum!! LOL Happy Planting with all you have coming in. It will be wonderful to see all the pics next season....I can hardly wait! Jan G.

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

Arggg!!

I feel so for you!!! I had a knee scope, and thought two weeks max! Wrong. I was out seven weeks, and the surgery fixed nothing. I am extremely careful how I move now. I do not want any part of any more surgery. I naively expected the knee to heal and be well again. Won't happen. so I work one day and rest one day if need be. It depends on how much I have to walk at work.

I'm a house supe so I have to walk the halls. (And they are concrete) and sometimes I don't get to sit down and sometimes I do. I understand the body betraying you.

I took delivery on two balance pads today because if I don't keep up the strength of the muscles, I will be in deep ....trouble.

One reason I have been so insane with the planting was not being able to work in the yard at all this summer. I am the consistent overdoer. Anything I do, I tend to overdo.

But I am greatly looking forward to the blooms. And I am blessed to be able to induge myself in this new obsession.

And I have so loved the pictures this year. that's what did me in.

kay

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Ok, Jan, you had to start this. I been looking since last night and many times today at those seedlings. Then Kay goes and buys some too.

I just couldn't stand it. I bought five of them myself although I had not planned on this. The price is exceptional and I just really liked the ones I picked out.

When I read that these were ones Paul hybridized while he was in PA (so cold tolerant) and now giving stats in real field grown conditions, I really liked this. No greenhouse or potted plans grown in pans of water fed with fertilizer up the yazoo like certain well known deep southern hybridizers. These should be sturdy garden plants.

I got 79, 140, 308, 312 and 495. Yikes, I have to figgure out were to put them.

• rarejem
    15 years ago

OK guys, I am really glad that I went to his site before I read this post and at this point I am so absolutely DONE for this fall!!!!!

I just got my order today... 007, 240, 316, 370, and 505.

One is very similar to Jan's first picture, but is not posted on his website any longer.

I thought it was a wonderful deal, and the plants that arrived today were outstanding!

I am excited to see how they do for everyone next year!

Julie

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL...well Rita, at least you're getting some gorgeous dl's at great prices. I'm sure you'll figure out someplace to plant them. :)

Julie, you got some beauties too, I see. Looks like Paul's selling lots of those seedlings. Maybe he'll put some new ones on the site soon for us to drool over. LOL

Jan

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

I got a note from Paul this morning to confirm my order and he said his in box is overflowing with orders. Not surprised myself as those daylilies are all gorgous and the price can't be beat. Seems his website is down this morning. Hope he gets things straightened out asap. Now I am really glad I did my order last night. I pay by paypal so my order should be going out on Monday.

He did announce the sale to prior customers that were in his database to by e-mail but since there are two posts about the sale here on Gardenweb, I am sure that even more people know about it than would have before.

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, Rita, Paul emailed me early this morning and said he had lots of orders coming in. :)
    I just checked his website, and it's working correctly for me as it was earlier this morning. Maybe it was just a gremlin in your pc, sometimes they hide in mine too!!! LOL

Jan

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Hurray, The website is back up. I just checked.

Jan- I think you are responsible for a whole pile of seedling orders over at Pauls.

• rarejem
    15 years ago

Rita,

I agree that between Kay and Jan they have boosted Paul's fall seedling orders like crazy! I had to look at his site after Kay had raved about the quality of her plants from him and posted the pic of her mother's flower. I am glad that I did it at that time, as two of the seedlings that I ordered are now sold out.

Then of course after seeing the pics that Jan posted, had to go back and check again...

I have been back to the site several times, and he keeps adding such beauties that it is really really hard to resist temptation to place just one more order....

Must resist....

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yippee, mine made it today, so I won't have to give my son a crash course in planting dl's! Take a look at the size of these clumps from Pauls. They are laying on my bar in my kitchen which is just over 2 ft. wide, as a size reference for you. Also took a couple with my hand in them cause it's hard to tell how large they are without a comparison. :)
    Excuse the photos, I took them in a hurry and forgot to adjust the camera. :)

Jan

• jan53_2008
    15 years ago

Hehehe..shame on you Jan for being such an enabler and a Great Advertiser for Paul!! I will be visiting his site next year when I have more space prepared, as I really like his concept/"mission statement" on his site. When you have that, plus the great experiences, raves and prices that everyone here is getting...how can you beat that?? Jan G.

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know Jan, shame on me, but I just want everyone to get in on Paul's wonderful plants. They surely won't be dissapointed. He, like Bill Maryott, spoils the heck out of his customers!! :) They are two sellers that I will always buy from.
    Jan

• carefreeplants_2008
    15 years ago

Jan, I've never seen them that huge! That's real great quality.
    next year. next year. next year...I wonder how long I can do this...
    Bj

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Yikes, look at the roots on those plants. Can't wait for mine which ship Monday.

This is going to be really really exciting to see the blooms on all our seedling next year. I know we will all be taking lots of pictures to share.

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Bj- If you really like these seedling from Paul, I suggest you jump on the bandwagon and snap them up. These are daylilies he has been growing since his move from PA and apparently decided to sell them like this instead of having too many introductions. I don't think there will be such a deal next year as once he sells them out, they are gone.

• carefreeplants_2008
    15 years ago

LOL! I am calling my mom for an intervention!

Bj

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

You're right Rita. When you consider he started them in Pennsylvania, and then they survived in North Carolina, these should be some mega-survivors.

I can't get over how huge his root systems are! and he sends such huge fans!

I will have a ball planting mine. I added them in to my data-base last night.

BJ, if you can stretch it, these are healthy beauties.

kay

• carefreeplants_2008
    15 years ago

Thank you Kay.
    By the way, Paul Owen is an enabler, too. Please see his remarks regarding 'Big Sur'! That plant should be in everyone's garden!

Bj

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

Rita,

I looked up the ones you bought, and the first two and the last one were on my second list! Beauties early, and rebloom.

kay

• lalalandwi
    15 years ago

I absolutely love what he's got coming for intros in the next 2 yrs! Very unique!!!!!

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Gezz, has anyone checkled the site lately? There are a whole bunch listed as sold out that were available yesterday. Going like hot cakes.

kay - not surprised that we both might have chosen some of the same ones. We both have excellent taste in daylily selections :-))

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

Yes Rita, and Jan.

I agree, we do have similar taste in day lilies.

kay

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Jan- There is someone on the AHS e-mail robin looking for anyone who bought that first green-white seedling from Paul. Apparently they want to buy some.

• jan53_2008
    15 years ago

Jan, #7R-505.....She seems very willing to "talk business" (as she put it) if you are interested! LOL Jan G.

• laurelin
    15 years ago

Hi Jan,

Oh my, you sure know how to tempt a gardener! You have some fantastic new seedlings. I checked out Paul Owen's hybrid sale, and I saw quite a few that would be very happy in my garden. Too bad the budget won't stretch that far. If it did, I'd have to get 018, 135, 195, 313, 322, 366, 403, 495, RD-402 and RD-121. So many gorgeous flowers. . . .

Laurel

• mizellie
    15 years ago

Wow!!! tweety, you sure know how to pick seedlings. I am sorry to say that I am slap dab out of room, ( again ) and I maybe could find room for 1 or 2 more without making a new bed. I am still pulling weeds, even in the cold. I do have a bloom on Scatterbrain though. It isn't a very good one but it really was a surprise. ...Ellie