SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ardnek710

Question on Hot N Sweet jam

ardnek710
16 years ago

First off, I have made this jelly and absolutely loved it....:).

But I can't help but want to tweak..:)

I know that the pepper/onion to vinegar ratio cannot be altered which is fine. I plan on using a ultra hot habanero called Fatalli that is much much hotter than your average habanero pepper. I figure if anything I will use less than the recipe calls for here.

What I want to change is the fruit combo.

1.Can I mix and match fruits?

2.Can I increase the amount of fruit in the recipe as long as it is an acidic fruit with no problems? Example, I want to go ahead with the 1 cup of Apricot but also want to add dried peaches and dried cherries. Both of these are acidic enough to can on their own without vinegar, so would it be a problem to add these to taste? Is there a danger in adding more fruit to the recipe?

also I am not worried about the liquid pectin, I use pomona with no probs, but I am actually going for a glaze type consistancy here, so may just cook to the right temp or might experiment with amounts of pomona pectin.

Hot 'N Sweet Confetti Jelly

(Habanero Gold based recipe)

1 cup minced dried apricots (1/8" dice)

Note: Could use dried peaches or pears instead.

1 1/4 total cups minced red sweet pepper and minced red onion (1/8" dice),> approximately half-and-half.

1/4 cup Habanero peppers

Note: For extra-hot, increase Habaneros to 1/2 cup and reduce red sweet pepper/red onion combination to 1 cup total.

1 1/2 cups white vinegar

6 cups sugar

1 3-oz. pouch liquid pectin (I used Ball, which I've decided I like better than Certo.)

>

Prep apricots, peppers and onion. Place in a large, stainless or other > non-reactive pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook 5 minutes. Pull off the burner; allow to cool, cover and let sit overnight.

Stir occasionally if convenient.

Note: 4-6 hours would be plenty, so the time doesn't need to be any greater than the soaking time for apricots in the original recipe. (I've used as little as an hour without noticeable problems. Annie)

Next day, bring the mixture back to the boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Boil hard 1 minute.

Pull off the heat. If necessary, skim foam. (I did need to skim a bit.) Let cool 2 minutes, stirring to distribute solids (at Camp we let it set about 10 minutes and I didn't have to mess around getting the peppers suspended in the jelly, it got thick enough to keep the suspension) Pour into jars. Stir to distribute and remove air bubbles. Do the usual with the jars and lids, BWB 10 minutes.

When jars are sealed, "agitate" to distribute solids throughout the jelly.

Yield: 6 8-oz. jars.

thanks

Kendra

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County