SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfldoc

Central Florida Fall Tomato Update

Since messages appear to be missing, I will just remind folks that I put my plants in early, at the beginning of August. I am interested in what kind of fruit set I get in the heat, and really in the end, which varieties taste best to us. I have a few observations so far on some different varieties:

Sungold and Black Cherry: These cherry types probably were the first to set fruit and the plants are big, about 5 feet. I can see my little (54") cages are too small. I have read that cherries set best in the heat, and this appears true in our garden.

Black Plum: A very impressive plant. Big, strong, almost as tall as the cherries, and more robust looking with a big spread. About 11 or 12 fruits now, so it was pretty much right there with the cherries in early fruit set. I have read that this variety has won taste test competions, so I am interested in how it does for us.

Tiffany: Another impressive plant that looks very strong. Several fruits set here too so this was another early one. I think this is one of those "on the vine" types you see sold as groups in the grocery store. Have IMA's blog to thank for recommending this variety.

Rutgers: This one was a surprise. I have not planted Rutgers for years and really did not know how the classic "Jersey Tomato" would do in FL. This plant looks great, big thick stems, very healthy looking plant, maybe my stockiest, and several fruit set in the FL heat!

Cherokee Purple: I have read that this one tolerates heat better than most heirlooms and I do see at least one fruit nearing ping pong ball size. Another tomato that everyone seems to think has good taste, and I know that was true when I grew it in PA.

Solar Set: I can see that this one is now setting tiny fruit, but it is behind the others I have mentioned. Thought it was supposed to do better in the heat. All of my plants are the same age.

Pics from 9-22-08 of Black Plum, Tiffany, Rutgers:

Comments (4)