SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ariel73

Big leggy plants- are they worth it?

ariel73
14 years ago

I have a few plants in my garden that grow pretty fast and can get pretty leggy. I am constantly trimming or proping them up. I am trying to decide if they are worth it or not.

Some are a no brainer.

My Salvia leucantha is worth it. Yes, it can get big and floppy and I do have to prune it here and there, but I like it. It blooms alot and I think the foliage can be pretty.

Brillantaisia ulugurica aka giant salvia- I am not sure if it is worth it. I have had it for almost a year with no blooms. It take up alot of space with no reward...yet. Should I hang in there.? Is it worth it? Will it survuve the winter? The jury is still out on this one.

Forsythia Sage/Salvia madrensis-can have pretty blooms, but it is definatley more of a sprawler than a bush. It doesn't bloom as often as I would like and takes up alot of room. I like it but I don't know if I like it enough.

I realize that for some of you, these are great plants. Maybe they perform better for you I don't know. I do know that there are alot of plants out there I would like to have and I just need to figure out which ones work for me.

I would love to hear you opinions about the above mentioned plants. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Who knows.

What plants are you debating about?

Wanna trade? LOL

Comments (4)