SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
val_s

Canning Fruit Juice

val_s
12 years ago

I did do a search on here and Google. Mostly what I've found is how to make jelly...not exactly what I'm looking for.

What I would like to do is juice grapes, apples, pears, peaches or any combo of the above through my juicer (don't have a steam juicer..yet). Then I'd like to can them.

On the NCHFP site it only has directions for canning grape and apple juice. The apple juice link doesn't tell you how to extract the juice, only about getting juice from someone else. The grape juice link tells about boiling down the grapes.

So in my searches I've kind of pieced together what I think I can do but I'd like to verify before I jump into it.

I'm thinking it would be fine to run the fruits through my juicer to extract. Is this correct?

Then, let the juice set in the fridge for 24 hours. I'm not sure why I need to do this though. I understand about the sediment but is sediment bad? It's just a bit of pulp or whatever right? Do I HAVE to let it sit?

Then, bring juice to a boil and can it up in a BWB for 5 minutes in quarts.

I can do other fruits besides grapes and apples, right? And is there any reason not to use a juicer even for grapes? It would make it so much easier than all that cooking and straining.

Thanks - Val

PS - By the way, the Shirley's Vegetable Juice Cocktail turned out better than I expected. A lot of work though!

Comment (1)