SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gsevens

1st batch of Linda Lou's Sweet Chunks is underway.

gsevens
14 years ago

I started a batch of Linda Lou's sweet chunks yesterday. The news going across the airways is that these things don't stick around long once they are made.

I got my first Canner pot yesterday for my birthday. I just have to rig up the jar rack or get one to hold pints. Does anyone know what I can put on the quart canning rack to keep pints from falling through?

I went out to the garden and picked all my cukes for a batch of pickles. I went out in the morning and saw all the cukes on the vine. I didn't think they were big enough so I was going to wait 1 more day. I went out a few hours later and almost all the cukes doubled in size. OH BOY! If I waited one more day the cukes would have been too big, so I picked right away. As it is, I am using striaght eights, but trying to pick them small. Those things grow fast. I already have about 15 more growing on the vine. They may be ready for pickles before this batch is done. I hope they hold off a little. 9 days seems like a long time to make pickles, but I hear that they are well worth the wait. I can't wait!

Paul

Comments (41)

• kathy_in_washington
    14 years ago

Congratulations on your first attempt at canning. Following all the directions given by members of this forum and by reading the Ball Blue Book (or some other good authority) you'll do just fine.

Since you have pint jars and the canner rack (that works well with quarts, especially) and you're concerned about the pints falling through the rack, or something: why don't you find some wire and weave it around so that you make a smaller "grid" for the jars to sit on? I would guess that the twisted wires used on the back of picture frames (for hanging) would be a good flexible wire. You might know of other wire that's available and easy to twist and tie. Just a thought.

I actually don't do anything to "hold" my pints in the rack, and it's worked pretty well ... but as a newbie, I'm sure you want to feel as comfortable as you're able in the beginning.

Good luck, and a belated Happy Birthday to you.

• iice9
    14 years ago

You can also just buy a small round rack - the kind you use for individual pans of cake when they come out of the oven. You just have to be careful that the little feet are pointing down. That's what I use in all my pots - canners or not.

I think dollar stores have them and I know Safeway does.

• Related Discussions

Linda Lou - can I wait to process sweet pickle chunks?

Q

Comments (5)
    Put a cover on the vinegar and refrigertate until needed. PC will not usually do much at first, but after a year of storage the cukes will soften a little bit more if its not used. You can do an experiment. Make a batch with, and one without it. Note the differences and next year, see what the consistancy is like.
    ...See More

Can my Linda Lou's be saved?

Q

Comments (4)
    If you are just a little past the 24 hours, I would open all and reheat the juice and start the process over. Do the normal hot water bath thing. There is a lot of sugar in these pickles. I would guess there would not be a great chance of them spoiling. Use your judgement. I would go for it. If you are short on juice with the reprocessing, just add equal parts sugar and water to the last jar and eat it first.
    ...See More

Linda Lou pickle SOS plz!!

Q

Comments (18)
    This hollowness may be a condition which could be from the strain of cukes grown. Because most cukes tend to need a lot more water to grow, in order for them to become long. Also, there are a few types that farmers prefer to grow that are long keepers, which, in turn, could have less water content. The hollow cukes I have seen are usually ones that the seeds are seperated in triangular rows inside. This same condition sometimes shows up in overripe watermelons too. Keep in mind that if your making pickled cucumbers, and even though they may be fresh, the person who grows them may be choosing a strain that gives better yields, but need less care and watering. Simply an economic issue, at the expense of those who pickle cukes at home. When I grow them, I usually choose varieties like the Heinz, or county fair types, which are of a strains that are firm and solid. Another issue with cukes is bitterness, and the ones I have grown have also had a few bitter ones. I've read a lot about this and it seems to affect almost all varieties when the plants are in the earlier production. Hybrids are Ok for somthing things, but you need to find out what is the actual type your farmer or supplier is growing. There is nothing more disappointing then biting into a pickled bitter cuke. Sometimes it tends to make the whole jar unpleasent tasting. I was almost tempted to taste a small amount of each cuke before its put in a jar, but if you have a bushel or more to work on, that would be a bit much. Even for that, if you do find a bitter tasting one, your taste buds are not going to be able to easily detect a sweet one afterwards. My grandmother used to cut off an end and rub the two cut pieces together and see if there was a clear color liquid, or a whitish slime. If they showed the white slime, she didn't use that one. Not sure if this was really a way to tell though.
    ...See More

Help! Linda Lou!! Sweet Pickles!

Q

Comments (12)
    Well, I rinsed as suggested. Poured boiling water over again last night. I think I will go ahead with syrup tonight as it "would have been" the 5th day. Things are looking up! Found a nice shiny "used" fridge like I wanted (bottom freezer). Price was half of a new one. And am pretty sure I've found someone to haul it for me. Ain't friends grand??!?!? The old one is actually working now....out on the back porch....but it never shuts off, so it's not coming back inside! Last night we packed in stuff for dinner from the porch. I told DH and son we were having a "reverse picnic". What else can ya do but keep your sense of humor and make the best of it! ~grin~ Does make me think how lucky we are to have modern conveniences...least I didn't have to go down to the creek to get the milk bucket! Thanks for all the support. Deanna
    ...See More
  • ksrogers
    14 years ago

Home Depot has thin perforated aluminium sheets at 2'x4' and you can use a good pair of scissors to cut a round of it. Thats what I use on my canning rack and its small triangular holes are small enough where you could even put a penny on it and it wouldn't fall through. I leave it in place for all jars as its quite flat and will not cause any size or shape jar to tip.

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks kathy_in_washington. I do have some wire that I may be able to use. I was just afraid if it rusted or something what it might do to food I can.

Thank you irenecalgary. I didn't even think of those cooling racks. I have two of them. They wouldn't fit my old crock pot but I think they will fit the new 22 1/2 quart one.

Thanks ksrogers. Are those anything like the foil cooking pans or are they thicker guage? I'll have to look next time I'm at Home Depot.

Thanks everyone. I just did the second bath of boiling water on the cucumbers. Now I wait some more.

Paul

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

They are definitely worth the wait...for those who like sweet pickles. I make them for others as I'm not a big sweet fan. I serve them on relish trays for hsoliday, etc.

Good luck getting the entire batch to the finish line if you (or anyone in the house) likes sweets.
    After about the 2nd day of the sugar solution, they start tasting pretty darned good. Even I have been known to sample........uh...........a few!!

Enjoy!
    Deanna

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love the sweet pickles. I've heard nothing but good things about these. I might have to make extra syrup though. The recipe calls for 24 pickling cucumbers. I only have 17 I think, but they are a little bigger than they should have been. I may make up some extra syrup just in case it doesn't cover them completely. I am just afraid of not having enough syrup when it come to putting them in the jar. Extra syrup should be ok, right? As long as I don't change portions of any ingredients, I would think that should be ok.

Paul

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Pickling cuke sizes can vary greatly from 3/4 inch in diameter or slightly less, and just 2-3 inches long. Larger ones can be 1.5 inches in diameter or larger and can be as long as 5-7 inches. So the amounts of cukes used can vary. Just keep the brine measurements the same, and if you have less cukes, its still OK to make them. You can also wait a day or two, and you should have more cukes ready to pick. I wash mine off, drain well, and place in a plastic zipper bag thats left open, and put in the fridge. Most of the time they remain quite crisp for up to two days. Thats what I did for my half sours, as I planted less cuke plants this year.

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

Normally I make extra brine. Sometimes I just make half a batch extra to cover the cukes. I hope you like these pickles. They are so wonderful ! But, I could be a bit biased, ha ha. I add the calcium chloride to each jar now, just to keep them more crisp. They are crisp without it, though. Especially if you will chill the jar before you open it up.
    Be sure to sample them a couple days after the syrup. You will begin to see how they will taste. I make little spice bags out of muslin for the spices. Makes it easy to remove. I tried a tea ball, but it broke. So, back to the muslin bags.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Here is a SERIOUS spice/tea ball. All stainless steel mesh 3 " diameter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spice/Tea ball

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks linda_lou. I was thinking about 1/2 batch of extra brine myself. Most of the cukes I have are on the bigger side. You say you add calcium chloride to each jar? How much do you put in each jar? Do you just put it in right before you fill the jars? Any idea where I can get some calcium chloride? Does Walmart or grocery stores sell it? I have hread about using it. I've also seen some recipe using alum or pickling lime. I am new to gardening and canning, so I don't know what they all do yet.

As for that spice ball, that is nice. I just bought a generis one for now. It is mostly metal with holes all over it. I'm already thinking about getting that mesh one. I bought cheesecloth and a spiceball. I think the spiceball is looking better than the cheesecloth.

Thanks,
    Paul

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Ball used to offer it, but discontinued it last year. Someone has said that Ball decided to bring it back due to very good results and overwhelming popularity. You can get the generic version from Bulk Foods, as mentioned in some other threads. There is also a photo of the back of the Ball Pickle Crisp box, indicating the actual Ball measurements per pint or quart. Becuase the generic Calcium Chloride has a larger granule size, a little more of it is needed per pint or quart.

See link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Calcium Chloride search and photo

• busylizzy
    14 years ago

Linda I have larger tea balls with screw on lids, mesh you name it , lol I use alot of loose tea and still prefer cheese cloth for whole spices.

A tip for those not familiar with making spice bags, take a small bowl put your cloth inside the bowl so the cloth hangs over the sides add your spices and tie up. Is alot faster than trying to tie up in a flat surface.

BTW Linda, those cuke chunks are crisp/crunchy with the deletion of the step we discussed.

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

That is great, Lizzy ! Glad they turned out fine.

Pickling lime will help, but is a a messy job and caustic. It can get into your lungs. It can lower the acid level of the pickles, too, if you don't rinse, rinse, and rinse. I won't use it anymore. Alum is worthless unless it goes into a fully fermented pickle. It will make reg. pickles softer as they sit in the jars. The pickle mixes sometimes have it, but it is for added pucker, not to keep them firm.
    The calcium chloride is ordered online, as Ken said. That or some wine or beer making shops will have it, too. You won't find it in reg. stores.
    I still used the same amount 3/4 tsp. per pint. Was plenty I thought.

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Ken. I'll have to save the link in case I can't find it around here, I can at least order it online.

Thank you Linda. It sounds like calcium chloride is the way to go. I bought alum and pickling lime, not knowing what they would do. I just happened to notice some recipes online with one or the other.

If a recipe calls for lime or alum, can that ingredient be dropped and calcium chloride be used in its place? If so, I won't use the lime. Every recipe I see that uses the lime does caution not to breath in any of the dust. I know it can't be good, but what would happen if you did breath some in?

When the calcium chloride is added to the jar, do I have to dissolve it or anything?

Thanks Lizzy. I think I am going to use the cheese cloth for spices. I'll use the small bowl like you said.

I can't wait to can these on Saturday. This will be my first attempt at canning. I hope all goes well.

Paul

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Alum as mentioned in other threads is not used to maintain cripness. Its more for a 'pucker' with high vinegar sour pickles. Pickling lime is nasty, and messy. It isn't easy to mix with water and settles at the bottom within minutes of mixing. It also stains and discolors stainless steel bowls. Adding cukes to pickling lime also require a 24 hour soak in the fridge, and then, like mentioned before, MANY rises of water to remove all traces left attached to the cuke skins. If its not washed off well, and it will settle at the bottom of the pickle jars and cause cloudyness you can get rid of. Needless to say, the calcium chloride is far easier to deal with and requies no washing or rinsing of the cukes, unless its made as a presoak, but if thats used, its easier to wash it off the cukes compared to the lime. Only make of pickling lime is Mrs Wages right now, as Ball as stopped making it.

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

I add the calcium chloride to each jar. I use 3/4 tsp. for pints and 1 1/2 tsp. per quart. Works so well. Just put it in each jar, that is all there is to it. No mixing, nothing. Not unless you prefer to add it to the brine or use as a presoak. I just put in the jars and call it good.

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Ken & Linda. The Mrs Wages pickling lime is what I bought, but I am having second thoughts about using it at all.

If a recipe calls for a lime bath, can I skip that and just add the calcium chloride to the jar instead? If I do that, is that changing the structure of the recipe too much. Is there any reason for concern when it comes to canning?

I'm sorry for all the questions. Everyone here on this forum has been so helpful. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Paul

• busylizzy
    14 years ago

Yeah Linda the more I pondered that recipe I really didn't see the need for simmering for 3 hours.
    The crispness I feel stayed with desalting with boiling water, not a 3 day soak. I just candied for another day in the end. Actually they ended up to be a 10 day not a 9 day with suprise company that came over Sunday.
    The de liming didn't bother me, actually I rinsed some of the alum off last year, the metallic I could taste. It's just a matter of superlative end product minus unneed steps.
    I just made another batch of syrup this morning for the Gerkins, have to see how they hold up. Noting the 2inchers are more firm than the 1 or 1 1/2 inch.
    Additionally have a 5 gal bucket of the Cool Breeze cukes picked at 4inch size whole in the salt brine to see if there is a marked difference in the crispness brining whole vs chunks.
    At least I have enough of the pickling cukes I prefer to play with now

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

The amount of calcium chloride is safe for any vinegar based pickles. It takes the place of the pickling lime soaks. Ball stopped offering pickling lime some years back, and introduced the Pickle Crisp product which was a huge success. Because there are a few idiots at Ball marketing, they dropped that product about 2 years ago, but realized it was a big mistake and will be offering it again, but probaly not in time for any of this years canning. With pickling lime, you need to go through mixing, soaking for 24 hours, and rinse many times to scrub it off. The Pickle Crisp link I provided has a picture of the instructions on the back of the Ball box. It also has a presoak method as well, but doesnt require all that laborous rinsing and scrubbing. Please reread my replies. Yes, you simply add the CC to each jar of cukes or whatever your pickling. Originally they said to add it after filling the jars, but I prefer to add it beforehand. It makes no diference, as it will still disolve and do ts 'thing' either way.

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you. I found the picture you were talking about. I didn't scroll enough the first time I clicked on the link. I think for now I will just stay away from the lime until I get my hands on some of that Calcium Chloride or Pickle Crisp.

Just cut up the pickles and poured the syrup on the pickles. 4 days to go. Mmmmmmm. Can't wait.

Paul

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Just made a very small batch of kosher dills. Had ennough cukes for 2 quarts. Cut up a couple of garlic cloves, a few mature dill seed heads, and the Mrs. Wages dill pickle mix, using full strength 5% vinegar. I added a teaspoon and a half of CC to each quart. I wouldn't try looking for the Pickle Crisp, unless Ball has come out with it again, and ist being sold in stores. I doubt if you can find any until next year. I do have 3 boxes left, and each has small plastic bags to keep enough of the CC to can maybe 4 quarts at a time. I bought a big jar of the CC from Bulk Foods, and use that instead. Whatever you do use, make sure to store it in an air tight jar, as CC can quickly absorb moisture and turn to a liquid if its not in an air tight container. In the liquid form, its sprayed on air planes to deice them in winter.

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info about the airtight container. I'm gonna see if I can find some CC around here. If I don't have any luck doing so. I have my box of pickling salt inside of a zip-lock bag just to keep moisture out so it doesn't clump. I've use CC in the winter to melt snow, but that's not the food grade. I don't think it would work on pickles. I haven't even finished this batch of pickles and I need to start thinking of my next batch. The cucumbers are growing like wildfire.

After checking on the sweet chunks this morning I may throw out my fridge pickles. The sweet chunks look like a real pickle already. My fridge pickles are all sunken in from when the water came out of them. The don't taste bad, but the have a funny flavor. I think it is because of all the water and the spices were left in. I guess I will just chalk them up as experience. I don't think I will do that recipe again.

Paul

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Never use the CC that is being used as an ice melter. As you have stated, its not food grade. Bulk Foods sells different size amounts of the CC. I keep mine in a Ball quart jar with lid and ring. I also use a vacuum attachment from Food Saver to pull a vacuum on the CC after the pickle canning season is over. That way, it remains granular.

If the pickles smell funny, it could be old spices use, or water that is not good quality. Here, our water is quite good, no smell, taste, or any discoloring. Some areas have high calcium water (hard), chlorine added, and even iron. None of these contaminates have any good effect on the brine water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calcium Chloride source

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link. I will have to order some. Prices seem reasonable. I am going to put my canning salt in a jar and seal it to. I have a vaccum sealer myself. It just doesn't get used as much as it should.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

The pickling salt isn't as active as the CC when it comes to absorbing moisture. Most table salt has some anti caking additves, but pickling salt has none. It can be stored in a jar, but doesn't need to be as much air tight as the CC needs. Thats the main reason Ball packed thei Pickle Crisp into small sealed bags with about 4 teaspoons each.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

happy belated birthday, Paul, and congratulations on your first year of canning experience.

I love those sweet pickles too, and I have my first atch of pickles for the year started on the counter. Cucumbers have been far and few between here, they do not like the very cool summer we've had so far.

Annie

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Annie. My cucumbers were off to a slow start, but the are getting into full swing now. I will probably make a few batches before the year is over. Probably just do pickles this year, then next year see wha else I can put up. Maybe some relishes.

Paul

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I tasted one of the sweet chunks at dinner. Now that is one fine pickle. I went and dumped my fridge pickles. I hate to waste them like that, but after tasting the sweet chunks, I'll never use that recipe for fridge pickles again.

I have heard of some people eating them before they get canned, but the first 4 days, the only thing they were in was water. I thought they would go bad before I got to add the syrup. Is it safe to eat some now?

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention in previous post.

When I tasted the pickles last night they were good. It seemed to be a little strong on the vinegar taste. I don't know if this is normal or my spices are weak.

Is there anything that I can do to cut the vinegar taste just a bit? Could I use a mix of cider vinegar and white vinegar next time? A little more sugar? Add a little more spice? I know not to cut back on vinegar. Is adding sugar the same as cutting back on vinegar in a recipe? I used strictly cider vinegar like the recipe said.

Paul

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

You can do all of the above safely. Its always a good idea to taste the brine. Cukes to release water, and absorb vinegar. Because these are made using a strong brine, that is washed off, it concentrates the taste of the cukes. Usually its best to allow the cukes to remain in the vinegar based brine for at least a month before tasting. Once you get to that state, write down your notes about the recipe and your flavor modifications. Not everyone likes vinegar, however, all my vinegar based pickles use full strength 5% vinegar, and the add enough salt to actually change the vinegar taste to something that tastes sweet. My pepperoncini peppers get the full strength vinegar, and i add salt to the brine to a level where its almost like the same taste a salt and water brine get to when I do fermented cukes. Too little salt and the cukes spoil quickly and are bland, too much salt and the brine tasts bitter. That 'window' of salt to water or to vinegar is quite small when you taste it and your mouth seems to water a bit. My many posts in other threads mention the taste method.

Adding sugar will reduce the acidic taste, but will not affect the actual acidity. Never dilute the vinegar if its not stated in the recipe.

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Ken......and to think, I thought making pickles would be easy. I learn more every day and still have a long way to go.

You say to never dilute vinegar in a recipe. I understand not to dilute with water. Could cider vinegar be diluted with white vinegar? This would just be for a change in taste. Both vinegars would be 5% acidity

Thanks

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

Ken, once again, you are not understanding this recipe . It seems you do this each year.....
    It is not washed off. It is only water to start with, just to remove impurities and toughen the peels. Then the sugar/vinegar/spice mix is added. It is a totally different kind of pickle. These are sweet pickles,not fermented dill ones.
    Gsevens, please do not follow his advice on my pickles.. give them a few days. You won't get the full flavor until after they are done and processed.
    You can use some white vinegar, but the white vinegar will taste even sharper than the cider vinegar. Adding extra sugar or anything will ruin the taste of these pickles.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I agree, Linda Lou, I think a mix of white vinegar and cider vinegar would be even stronger, I think cider vinegar is already "sweeter" than white vinegar.

Paul, I wouldn't change the ingredients until the pickles have been sitting a while and take on the full flavor of the syrup. The batch I did two years ago is still nicely crunchy but taste more strongly of the spices than those I canned and ate within a couple of months. That's not a bad thing, I like the "spicy" taste but it's definitely more pronounced after they sit.

Annie

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you both Linda and Annie. I won't change a thing. They do taste Great! I was just looking for a slightly less vinegar taste, but I will wait like you said and give it time to do it's thing.

How long do things last when you can them at home? Are they good for 1-2 years or forever if canned properly?

Right now I'm gonna go get me some more of those pickles.....Mmmmm!

Thanks,
    Paul

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

I've got to shut up and avoid commenting on a non conforming recipe..

Without an additive like Pickle Crisp (calcium chloride) to help reduce the breakdown effects of vinegar, thet can probably remain crisp for almost a year, but this recipe may stretch that far beyond the norm. I am no expert as I was again chastised..

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

Ken, I wasn't trying to be mean, just that this a different kind of pickle. It isn't fermented, yet it is not a quick pack pickle. The sweet ones are done differently at times. This is one of those different types of sweet pickles, although totally safe...
    I hope there are not hard feelings.

They are safe for as long as they are sealed. Then it becomes a quality issue and not a safety issue. After 2 years mine were softer and darker in color. As Annie said, the spices seemed stronger, too.
    I do add the calcium chloride most times, but my husband likes them better without it. So, it is a matter of preference on the calcium chloride.
    Glad you like the pickles !!!

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Ken. You may not be an expert (just kidding), but you have had a lot of good information. In this post along with many others I have read through.

Thanks Linda Lou. I don't think these pickles will last that long around here anyway. Just wanted to check in case I make more. I may have to sooner than I think. I was going to pick another load of cukes today. I may have enough for 2 batches now. We got some heavy rain last night. So many of my cukes have swelled up so fast my trellis is about to fall over from the weight. It's not staked very good, and until now, had not been a problem. I may make some relish too. I'll just have to cut out some seeds because I think some of the cukes are a little bigger than I wanted. I think I need to get some more jars.

This is kind of late to ask this question, but I didn't think of it until last night while reboiling the syrup.

My question is...When draining the syrup to reboil and pour over the pickles, do you leave the spice bag with the pickles or do you keep it in the syrup and boil with it? I didn't think it would make much of a difference, but I have been leaving it in the syrup when I bring it back to a boil. Could this make the spices even stronger only because they are getting heated to a higher temp for a longer period of time.

Paul

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Another question I forgot to ask.....

What would the cooking time be If I was to can up in 1/2 pints? I'm just thinking the number of people that I may give some pickles to. I'm doing pints this batch. I'm just thinking 1/2 pints next batch.

Thanks
    Paul

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

1st Batch of Linda Lou's Sweet Chunks is done!!!!!

Yippee, Woo Hoo, Yeah!

Pickles are canned and on the counter cooling right now. It went better than I expected. After filling the first 4 jars and putting on the lids, I realized I forgot to get out all the air pockets. I had to remove the lids get out the air, then put lids back on, then process. I'm glad I caught it before they were processed though. I had less pickles than the recipe called for, but some were pretty big so I made 1 1/2 batches of the syrup. I should have just stuck with the single batch. I got 8 pints of pickles with some syrup left over.

After processing my first batch of pickles in a BWB, I'm feeling pretty confident to do more. Bring on the cucumbers. I just picked about 25 more cukes before processing the pickles. I think I might try some relish next.

Thank you everyone for all you help. Thanks to Linda Lou for such a delicious recipe. I did taste one right before processing. They just get better every time I eat them.

Paul

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

Paul,
    I am so glad to hear you love the pickles, too. I don't heat the spice bag each time. It would make the flavor stronger. So, now you can do some each way and compare if you want.
    I know the number of cukes is sort of a guess due to size, but I have never tried nor thought about weighing any cukes.
    Processing time is the same for half pints.

• gsevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Linda Lou. You have been a big help. Maybe it was the spices I was tasting, not the vinegar. I heated the spice bag each time. Next time I will leave it out. So far, so good with the processing. All the lids started to suck in almost right away. I have a small batch of sweet relish in the fridge right now. It will be canned tomorrow. I am using the recipe from NHCFP. I just made 1/3 of the recipe though. I won't use 9 pints of relish that fast so I am only trying to make 3 pints.

Paul

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH