SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valereee_gw

Is this recipe unsafe? Fig jam: add lemon juice, boil 2 hrs

valereee
15 years ago

The main difference between this recipe and the one recommended by the NCHFP is the boiling time after adding the lemon juice -- the NCHFP recommends boiling the figs, water and sugar until thick, then adding the lemon juice and cooking only 1 minute longer before canning. Am I correct in believing this is a crucial difference in the recipes and will result in a less acid fig jam than the NCHFP recommends canning by BWB?

>>

Fig Jam

Here is a recipe from one of my French culinary mentors for a chutney-like Fig Jam or Confiture de Figues.

For the Sugar Syrup

½ cup water

1 pound granulated sugar

½ vanilla bean, split and scraped

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 pounds figs, preferable Black Mission

To Prepare the Fig Jam: Make sure you choose figs that are ripe. Gently clean the figs by wiping the skin with damp cloth and try to keep them whole.

To prepare the sugar syrup, combine the water, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, lemon juice and vanilla pod. in a non-reactive sauce pot . Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Add the figs, reduce the cooking temperature and let stew for 1½ to or 2 hours.

Remove the scum from top of syrup as the fruit cooks. Once the fruit is cooked remove the vanilla bean and can according to proper canning techniques.

Thanks for any help!

Val

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz