SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Sticky salsa situation

2ajsmama
13 years ago

I had posted here about making Annie's salsa, and that I had asked my aunt for her salsa recipe, her reply was that "she didn't have one, just threw in what looked good." So I commented here that I would never take a jar from her - hoped she just did fresh. Well, yesterday I say a sealed jar in my cousin's house. How might I warn them? Maybe my aunt *does* put in enough acid to make it safe, but without a recipe I don't know. My cousin has young children (one a newborn). While I'm sure the boy doesn't eat it, I don't think I'd feel safe with it in the house. BTW, my cousin makes it too, I'm sure she learned from her mom, so there may be multiple jars.

I was telling DH, and my DD heard me, I explained what botulism was, she got so upset she "felt sick" and was dry-heaving after we put her to bed. I told he it was only in canned goods, not fresh, not PB or jelly, and she didn't eat anything else out of a can so she was OK (didn't want to put her off store-bought spaghetti sauce).

But it got me wondering - I don't recall if I made any pickles with white vinegar I had in a big jug, or only newly-bought cider vinegar (still discount Old Dutch brand, in smaller bottles with screw-caps), but you know how they have those press-on caps instead of screw caps? Would age/air cause vinegar to lose its acidity? If I did use the older white vinegar, I used in in the first batch and we've already eaten a jar of those, so the other jar I gave to my Dad should be OK, right?

DD also asked about peanut butter - how *do* they can that safely (not that I want to make my own) - pressure can it?

Comments (2)