SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ardnek710

general jam making questions..somewhat rambling..:)

ardnek710
15 years ago

Hi everyone, I hope you all are having a great year! I have a few questions about making jam, some pectin related, some not. Any help would be appreciated.

1. The calcium in the Pomona pectin is monocalcium phosphate. Unfortunately, you only get a little bit with the pectin. I may only make jam once every 6 months, so the calcium water in the fridge loses potency and has to be tossed by the time I make more jam. This means I always end up with way more pectin and no more calcium. I try to only make enough for what I will need, but I always end up short in the end.

Question is, can any other calcium be used i.e. calcium carbonate, calcium citrate, calcium acetate? Any one have a source for monocalcium phosphate, because I can only find industrial sources from China and the like? Anyone else have this problem?

2.I would like to get better at making jam the old fashioned way, no added pectin. I guess there is no way around the sugar quantity then?

I always have trouble getting my non pectin jam up to 220degrees and to set up. Never seems to get there, why is this? do you guys put a lid on the pot to increase steam pressure or do I need to let the jam simmer for quite awhile to remove excess water?

3. Can someone explain scientifically (?) how the sugar amount affects the ability of a non pectin jam to set? I assume this is why my jams in question #2 don't set, cause I am always trying to cut the sugar some in my recipes. What is the minimum percentage of sugar in a total volume I need to have something set? I realize this question does depend somewhat on the fruit, ripeness, etc. but I am just looking for general guidance.

thanks everyone, love it here!!!

kendra

Comments (21)