SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deerslayer_gw

Wheel Horse Ramblings

deerslayer
17 years ago

Here's a quick update on my 42" side discharge deck rebuild. As I mentioned earlier, the top and bottom nuts are off. I'm currently soaking the pulleys/shafts in PB. I plan to continue soaking for another day or two for a total of 3 to 4 days soaking.

I have several pullers, but after doing some research, I think there are better tools for the job. As you may know, the center pulley has holes. I believe that a harmonic balancer, steering wheel, or timing gear puller will work best on this pulley. I'll use whichever tool has 5/16 bolts.

The two outer pulleys have top flanges. I think a power steering pulley puller will work best with these.

While searching the internet for the proper tools, I discovered that AutoZone has a Loan-A-Tool program where they loan specialized tools at no cost. You simply leave a deposit that you get back when you return the tool. They have a number of different pullers including the ones that I need. Here's a link.

Loan-A-Tool

An AutoZone is within a few miles of my home. I plan to borrow the tools and report back.

-Deerslayer

Comments (85)

Sponsored
More Discussions