SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itzbinnice

Need Help WithToro Wheel Horse Carb Issues

itzbinnice
9 years ago

My neighbor was given a used older Toro riding mower,14-38 HXL Model 71193, with carb model 497061 from his wife as a gift.
She bought it from her cousin who buys used mowers and sells them. The mower has begun to have fuel issues.
There is something wrong with the float since the engine keeps flooding and the cylinder builds up with fuel and will not crank because of the pressure build up. The fuel also contaminates the oil and must be changed. The cousin that sold the mower had installed a fuel shut off valve and instructed to shut the fuel off when not in use, This worked for a while but now constantly floods when attempting to start.

He has no experience with mower repairs and I am far from an expert.
This engine (14 HP Briggs) has a solenoid that screws into the bottom of the bowl and holds the bowl in place to the carb body. We tried to remove the carb but the 5/16 head bolts (brass) stripped and we were unable to remove the carb. We may replace the carb so when a replacement is found we will use vice grips to remove the bolts and replace them.

I've never seen a carb like this and I'm puzzled regarding the solenoid.
I removed the solenoid and the bowl dropped down revealing the float. The float had little movement which surprised me.
Looking at the carb diagram, the solenoid inlet needle goes into the inlet seat.
When the key is turned on the solenoid engages and pulls the solenoid needle away from the seat.
I assume this would let fuel to flow constantly which makes no sense to me since whenever the key is on the solenoid will behave as described,

Can somebody please advise me the principals of how these solenoid carbs work.
The mower is not in the best of shape so I'm not even sure if it's worth it to replace the carb

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions