SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missmygardens

How to Choose Correct Container Size for Different Plants

MissMyGardens
14 years ago

I don't think the search function is working as I tried a number of times to find an old threads on this topic and others.

I'm putting some firt year perennials and many annuals in containers.

Last year I just guessed and now realize some were jam packed but since they were annuals didn't stop plants from blooming but a few pots had plants with stems at all angles and I think were stunted by being so packed.

I know choice of appropriate size container is more important for perennials as they will be staying in first pot for this year. Don't know what's too big even if it drains well and what's too small and will constrict root development.

I realize I can just "try and see what works" but I don't have an endless supply of containers so have to choose carefully what goes where to start.

Is there a web site anyone knows of that provides some guidelines?

I didn't want to be cheeky and post a list of many plants I'm potting up for someone to go through and make suggestions. I'd like to but that's a lot to ask someone else to do the thinking for me if there's some online site/article/video anyone can suggest.

Thanks in advance if anyone has guidelines they use. I would think anticipated root mass is important but I have no idea of how I'd find that out short of year of experience, which I don't have, or a horticultural degree.

I found a video online that stressed size of plant "above soil" as key so plant is aesthetically in harmony with the "decorative" pot. Other than having the proper room for root development in first couple years I'm less concerned with aesthetics like seeing bare soil around perennial. I can always put appropriate amount of Sweet Alyssum seedlings into pot to fill it out and compliment perennial bloom colors. I just don't want to choose too small and inhibit first year growth and risk compromising plant's proper development while still a little tyke.

I've got a couple Container Gardening books and have looked through some at box stores but they don't tell you "how" to choose correct pot size other than tell you to take into account height and width of plant above ground.

Something like Agastache Rupestris will grow to 36-42" high and 18" wide. I have no clue as to the root mass size through years 1-3. Obviously I want a pot wide enough so it doesn't tip over with more than passing breeze. Found that out with Salvia Coccinea and tall Zinnia last year.

Sorry to ramble but I've got pots all sanitized, both regular and gritty mixes in the making with lots and lots of seedlings just dying to get out of their second growing on containers.

Thanks again for any input, advice or reading recommendations.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022