SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ebmeyer

and the winner is...bing cherry preserves!!

ebmeyer
17 years ago

THANK YOU to all who pitched in to help with my bing cherry questions. And especially to Carol, AKA Readinglady, for the recipe. This took the blue ribbon at the County Fair for "Other Preserves"

Classic Sweet Cherry Preserves

10 cups pitted dark or sweet cherries

6 cups sugar

1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine (optional)

Almond extract

1) Pit cherries and layer with sugar. Let sit and cherries weep for 2 to 6 hours.

2) Add butter now if you plan to use it. Cook mixture until transparent and jelly point is achieved (218-220 degrees F depending on stiffness of desired set). Add almond extract and stir.

3) Ladle into sterile jars and process in BWB for 10 minutes.

Note: To be sure of the final consistency you can do the cold plate test or cool and then refrigerate the preserves until the next day. You can always continue an interrupted cooking session if set isn't as firm as you'd like. Bring back to heat and process.

Variations: Add up to 1 tablespoon almond or vanilla extract or a drop of oil of cinnamon and boil 1 more minute. Alternatively you can add a liqueur or brandy.

My notes: I made about half a batch, which I find easier to work with. The cherries seemed kind of bland to me, so I sliced one lemon into thick slices and let it marinate with the cherries during their standing time. I then heated the lemon with the cherries when until boiling, then discarded the slices and it left a nice, slight lemony taste.

From ReadingLady on the Harvest Web, who got it from the JmaLady Cookbook.

Thanks again!

Comments (4)