SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ljpother

How I make jam

ljpother
13 years ago

I don't use pectin. I do use lemon juice.

These are guidelines.

Fruit: 8-12 cups -- I have more success with smaller batches

sugar: 1/3 to 1/2 the amount of fruit ie. 8 cups fruit 3-4 cups of sugar -- I think using less sugar only means it takes longer to boil off enough water to get the jam to set. The concentration of sugar in the jam is likely consistent.

lemon juice ~1/4 cup

In a large stock pot gently heat the fruit and lemon juice until liquid collects in the bottom and the fruit softens. Add the sugar, stir and then turn the heat up and bring the fruit to a rapid boil. Now comes the fun part -- when is it done? :) I find I can stir the foam back into the mix and as the jam finishes the foam disappears. The bubbling jam will spit and I recommend a splatter screen and turning the heat down if the spitting is excessive. As you make more jam you will be able to tell when the jam is close. I find the spitting intensifies and the jam looks thicker. I use the sheeting method and back it up with putting a small amount on plate and popping it in the freezer for a bit to see if it gels. Getting it right is an art. Chances are your first couple of batches every year will be too solid or too liquid.

For the jars, I use Atlas and Mason 750 ml pasta sauce jars. I wash and rinse them then heat them in boiling water (roasting pan) along with the utensils and lids. When the jam is ready (just off the boil), I put a canning funnel on the jar and ladle the jam in until I have 1/2-3/4 of head space. I then put the lid on tightly and set the jar aside. Check to see if the lid has popped, wash and label.

This hot pack method is approved for small producers but not the recommended method. The recommended method uses two piece lids, pectin, and a water bath. However, I have had good success with this technique. In addition, there is no reason not to use new jars, two piece lids, and the water bath. Just forget the pectin.

Comments (9)