SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanahanna_gw

Question about Mirromatic 16 qt canner

nanahanna
15 years ago

My husband bought a 16 qt model 0406 Mirromatic Pressure canner last year from a friend who was going into a nursing home. She said she used it the year before and it was working great. I don't have a manual for it and canned (I hope they are ok) 8 pts of lima beans. But it has only the weighted gauge and being inexperienced and not having the operating manual it came to pressure (10lbs)like it was supposed to according to Ball Canning book in about 5 or 6 minutes. I have an electric stove with the heavy duty canning element and had the heat set to 5. The weighted gauge rocked continually at that heat setting but I didn't know whether to keep turning it down or how often it was supposed to jiggle. I later found out that the older Mirro canners are supposed to jiggle 1 or 2 times every minute. The jars look fine...they had a film like dust on them but they are definitely sealed. I took the rings off and tested them. The juice in them looks just a little bit cloudy but otherwise they are not cooked to mush...all of them still whole. So, today my husband and I are testing the canner with just water in it to see what level heat to cook at to get it to jiggle 1 or 2 times a minute. It is set on 4 and is jiggling one or twice every other minute and sometimes it jiggles for 40 seconds then doesn't jiggle again for a couple minutes. What am I doing wrong? Or, do y'all think the canner is defective?

Thanks!

Nanahanna

Comments (31)