SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bodhimama_gw

Newbie w/question about Mirro pressure canner.

bodhimama
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have read so many helpful threads on pressure canning here! I finally went out this morning after much research and bought the Mirro 22-qt pressure canner from my local general store. (Amazon's out of stock on the Presto, plus I wanted immediate satisfaction and didn't want to wait for a weight set or fuss with finding someone to calibrate the pressure gauge.)

So, I set it all up with 2 quarts of water in the bottom per the instructions, the 15 psi weight on top (I live at 1700 ft altitude), and put the burner on high. It started heating up, and steam began to come out of the lid *handle.* At this point the small red button in the lid handle popped up! I thought it was a safety feature so I shut off the heat, let it cool down, took out the gasket and dried it and the lid and cover really well, then tried again. Note: I have not at this point, oiled the gasket. My instructions say I can do that, but not after the first three times I use it, and only if it's hard to close. It doesn't seem that hard to close; I just push down a bit on the lid and turn and it closes.

So, I tried again. This time, after reading more, I put 3 inches of water in the bottom of the canner, and proceeded to turn on the heat. The same thing happened!

Now after reading a bit I am wondering if this red button is actually the *lid lock* and is supposed to come up in order to allow the canner to come up to pressure?

Note that at no time did any steam come out of the weight or vent tube. There is nothing blocking the vent tube.

Help? I'm totally new to this and scared to let it run with the red button in the lid handle up.

My manual doesn't say anything about what this red button is, but says there is a "spring safety device" - I can't figure out what that is exactly. There is also a red overpressure plug - that has always stayed down. On the box it points to the red button and says "Pressure Monitoring Gauge."

Very confusing! Thanks for your help. I apologize if this was covered elsewhere. I searched every way I can think of. I did learn a lot, like I know that apparently the weight will spin and hiss, not jiggle, when it comes up to pressure. But, I haven't gotten that far yet!

Comments (20)